President race to start over

Due to the disqualification of both presidential candidates, ASUA will be restarting the elections process after Spring Break.

When James Allen, the top candidate in the general elections, was disqualified it automatically triggered the special election, according to ASUA Elections Commissioner Michael Colletti.

Colletti declined to comment on the exact nature of the campaign violations, citing restrictions from the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

There is no stipulation in FERPA legislation that bars media access to  materials related to student body elections.

The presidential race is now considered open and anyone interested can seek a place on the ballot, provided they receive enough signatures.

One hundred signatures are required to be on the ballot for a special election, according to section 4-6.07 of the ASUA elections code.

After a week of collecting signatures, those eligible to be on the ballot will have a week to campaign before elections week. Colletti said he expects the special election to take place three weeks after Spring Break, the second week of April, but that it could be held earlier or later than projected.

A special election could be avoided if Allen successfully appeals enough of his violations to get below the threshhold of 10.

Those interested in pursuing the presidency can pick up candidate packets from the ASUA offices in the Student Union Memorial Center after break.