Longhorns’ Osterman hangs first loss on No. 1 softball

The No. 1 Arizona softball team continued to dominate until it fell to No. 4 Texas yesterday in the last game of the Palm Springs Classic in Palm Springs, Calif.

The Wildcat-Longhorn matchup was yet another pitcher’s duel as Texas senior ace Cat Osterman blanked the Wildcats (15-1) for Arizona’s first loss this season. The Wildcats beat the Longhorns (17-1) earlier this year in the Kajikawa Classic.

The only run of the game came off the bat of Texas sophomore shortstop Desiree Williams, who hit a home run in the first inning off sophomore pitcher Taryne Mowatt (7-1).

After junior center fielder Caitlin Lowe jumped and caught the ball while falling on the collapsible fence, the umpire ruled Lowe out of play and let the home run stand.

Mowatt allowed six more hits and no more runs the rest of the game.

On Saturday, senior pitcher Alicia Hollowell (8-0) made history by earning her 120th win at Arizona, besting previous Wildcat standout Jennie Finch. Hollowell is on track to pass Arizona’s all-time wins record of 124, held by current assistant coach Nancy Evans.

Hollowell pitched another great game against Ohio State (6-8) in which she only allowed one run in a 5-1 Wildcat victory. This was the first run that Hollowell has allowed all season after facing 161 batters.

Saturday also saw a great performance from freshman third baseman Sam Banister, who hit her third home run against Ohio State, securing the win for the Wildcats. However, junior second baseman Chelsie Mesa was held hitless, snapping an 11-game hitting streak.

Later on in the day when Arizona faced Maryland (6-5), Mowatt allowed two hits in the 8-1 victory.

Behind the plate, the Wildcats were led by their top three as Lowe, senior left fielder Autumn Champion and Mesa scored four of the team’s eight runs.

There was consistency at the plate from the entire lineup as everyone who went up to bat got at least one hit except for freshman first baseman Laine Roth.

On Friday, Arizona received strong pitching performances from both Mowatt and Hollowell. Mowatt gave up only two hits in a 3-1 victory over Texas Tech (5-12).

Lowe and Champion helped produce on the offensive side for the Wildcats. Lowe went 4-for-4 against the Red Raiders, and Champion was 3-for-3 and scored two runs.

Hollowell was close to her 16th career no-hitter against No. 8 Texas A&M (10-6) until the fourth inning, when sophomore pitcher Megan Gibson singled. Arizona defeated the Aggies in five innings 12-0 on Friday in the Wildcats’ tournament opener.

Information taken from www.arizonaathletics.com and www.texassports.com