Final: Arizona 44, Nevada 20

Courtesy of James Importante

Arizona fans fill a section in University of Nevada’s Mackay Stadium during the Wolf Pack’s Sept. 12 NCAA football game against the University of Arizona Wildcats.

In their first true road test of the season, the No. 22 Arizona Wildcats defeated Nevada 44-20 at Clarence Mackay Stadium in Reno, Nevada. The game was highlighted by Arizona running back Nick Wilson, who ran for three touchdowns and 194 yards on 21 carries.

The Wildcats were without Scooby Wright III, Tyrell Johnson, Trey Griffey and Kwesi Mashack due to injuries. Wright’s replacement, Haden Gregory, went down with a reported right knee injury in the first quarter and was replaced by redshirt freshman Tre Tyler. Gregory would remain out for the remainder of the game. Moving forward, the linebacker position will be one that the Wildcats must focus on.

The Arizona offense was led by quarterback Anu Solomon, who was 24-33 throwing for 264 yards and two touchdowns. Cayleb Jones led the Arizona receiving corps with six catches for 103 yards. Nate Phillips added five catches for 32 yards.

On the defensive side, Jamar Allah had a key interception in the fourth quarter. Tellas Jones led the defense with five total tackles.

Kicker Casey Skowron missed an extra point attempt—his first of the season. Skowron also missed a 45-yard field goal but redeemed himself late in the fourth quarter with a 46-yard field goal.

Offensive Player of the Game: Nick Wilson — 21 attempts, 194 yards and three touchdowns

Defensive Player of the Game: Jamar Allah — Four total tackles, one interception

Game notes:

First Quarter

• With 13:01 remaining in the first quarter, QB Anu Solomon throws nine-yard touchdown pass to wide received Johnny Jackson
  • With 9:33 remaining in the first quarter, running back Nick Wilson runs in a three-yard touchdown, his first of the season

Second Quarter

• With 9:14 remaining in the second quarter, Nevada quarterback Tyler Stewart throws a five-yard touchdown pass to WR Jerico Richardson
  • With 3:56 remaining in the second quarter, Wilson rushes for another three-yard touchdown

Third Quarter

• With 10:41 remaining in the third quarter, FB Jamadre Cobb catches one-yard touchdown pass from Solomon
  • With 3:56 remaining in the third quarter, Wilson rushes for six-yard touchdown

Fourth Quarter

• With 13:34 remaining, backup QB Jarrard Randall rushes for a 57-yard touchdown
  • With 3:35 remaining, Skowron nails a 46-yard field goal