Homecoming through the years; top moments of UA football

Arizona Daily Wildcat clipping from the 1992 Homecoming football game against Washinton.

Arizona football has graced the UA with a Homecoming football game for the past 99 years. This Saturday will be no different, beside the fact the Wildcats will be well-rested after coming off a bye week for the first time in two seasons.

Stanford will be waiting with the return of former Heisman runner-up Christian McCaffrey.

The Wildcats are 57-36-5 all-time in their previous 98 Homecoming games, according to Arizona Athletics. Yet, Arizona is just 2-2 under head coach Rich Rodriguez. The Wildcats’ overall record, however, is good news for a team that’s sitting at 2-5 on the season and facing a five-game skid.

While Arizona does not have the most recent success in Homecoming games against Stanford, the Wildcats did beat the Cardinal 51-37 back in 2001—the last time Stanford played against the Wildcats for a Homecoming game.

Arizona has played 98 Homecoming games in its 101 Homecomings, the first coming against Pomona College in 1914. The Wildcats defeated Pomona 7-6 on Thanksgiving day.

Arizona did not play Homecoming football games in 1918 during World War I, or throughout 1943-1945 during World War II.

Anu Solomon and Brandon Dawkins will be geared up for Saturday’s game, and the do-everything-for-Arizona athlete Matt Morin will be playing running back. The biggest thing standing in the Wildcats’ way will be the Cardinal itself, as Stanford is coming off a heartbreaking loss to Colorado.

Halloween is coming and this year’s Homecoming features a haunted theme. Will the Wildcats spook the Cardinal? Only time will tell.

Below are the top five Homecoming games the Wildcats have played over 98 years:

No. 5 In front of 6,000 fans, the UA trumped Caltech 35-0 in what was the dedication game for Arizona Stadium back in 1929.

No. 4 The UA’s first night Homecoming game loss came at the hands of Rice in 1931, a 32-0 shutout for the Wildcats.

No. 3 While the game wasn’t as relevant, in 1988, the UA hosted its first pep rally and bonfire, creating the tradition of crowning both the Homecoming king and queen.

No. 2 In what was the highest Homecoming game in decades, the UA topped University of the Pacific 65-35, a real offensive shootout.

No. 1 In front of more than 58,000 fans, the UA topped then-No. 1 Washington behind Dick Tomey in a 1992 game. 

Follow Matt Wall on Twitter.