Students look to Take Back the Night

Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat

UA students participated in a march for Take Back the Night, an event created for students to take a stand against sexual assault.  The march began at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Student Center and ended on the UA Mall on April 15, 2010, after which there was a resource fair with speakers and performances by musicians and poets.
Valentina Martinelli
Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat UA students participated in a march for Take Back the Night, an event created for students to take a stand against sexual assault. The march began at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Student Center and ended on the UA Mall on April 15, 2010, after which there was a resource fair with speakers and performances by musicians and poets.

Take Back the Night, a national march and rally to end sexual assault, will take place today from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., starting at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Student Center and ending at the Women’s Plaza of Honor.

Take Back the Night is a publicly funded charity with the mission of ending sexual violence in all forms and lending support to survivors since 2001. The grassroots efforts have included marches and rallies around the world during the last 30 years.

The UA’s OASIS Program will be hosting the event in collaboration with the Women’s Resource Center, Fraternity & Sorority Programs, Men Against Violence and other campus organizations.

Erin Strange, a violence prevention specialist at OASIS, said that the event allows the university and the Tucson community to come together and take a stand against sexual violence while educating people about violence prevention. It also offers survivors a place to come and share their experiences and feel supported in doing so, according to Strange.

The March of Solidarity begins at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Student Center at 5:30 p.m., and the resource fair, spotlight speakers, and survivor speak-outs conclude the event from 6:15 to 8 p.m. at the Women’s Plaza of Honor. The resource fair will allow participants to explore campus and community resources regarding sexual violence, and the survivor speak-outs will allow participants to honor victims and empower survivors.

Speakers include members of Delta Lambda Phi and the ASUA Pride Alliance, Cindi Azuogu of the Women’s Resource Center, poet T.C. Tolbert, and keynote speaker Emily May, founder of ihollaback.org, a movement dedicated to ending street harassment using mobile technology. CatCall A Cappella will provide music.