‘Quantum of Solace’ spins typical Bond spiel

Since his cinematic debut in 1962, MI6 man of mystery James Bond has appeared in 22 films, had sex with an estimated 400 women and been treated for no less than six venereal diseases (most heavily discussed in the unreleased “”James Bond: The Rash of Scorpius””). Only twice, though, has Bond carried a vendetta across more than one film: after his wife was murdered in “”On Her Majesty’s Secret Service,”” and after his lover was murdered in “”Casino Royale.””

“”Quantum of Solace,”” the newest of the series, begins an hour after the final events of “”Casino Royale.”” Bond (Daniel Craig) is driving perilously through Italian traffic as malicious enemy grunts try to run him down. Locked in his trunk is a conspirator in the Quantum organization, an underground league of villains responsible for the death of his lover, Vesper and, in the fashion of all Bond villains, plotting some sort of convoluted world domination scheme.

Bond spends the entirety of the film running rampant through Europe and South America, indiscriminately gunning down all those linked to the Quantum – much to the chagrin of MI6’s big-momma, M (Dame Judi Dench). What results is a high-octane derivative of “”The Bourne Identity”” (The Bond Identity?) that satisfies all expectations of a typical Bond film, but adjusts them slightly to suit changing times. Just what might Bond-flick alumni think of these adjustments?

Sean Connery on the new Bond:
    “”Who the hell does this ponce think he is, strutting around from country to country like he’s the cock of the walk? Let me tell you, Bond was classy and discrete when I had any say in it; now he’s just another bloody blowhard hitman! At least he’s still a chauvinist…””

Honor Blackman (“”Pussy Galore””) on Olga Kurylenko:
    “”Kurylenko plays a fierce, gorgeous Bond girl…but what a ridiculous name.””

Daniel Craig on Daniel Craig:
    “”I liked him better in ‘Layer Cake.'””