Hollowell’s pitching earns national honors

Senior pitcher Alicia Hollowell earned USA Softball Player of the Week and Pacific 10 Conference Pitcher of the Week honors after a dominant weekend at the 2006 Kajikawa Classic in Tempe. Hollowell threw two no-hitters and won all three games while striking out 36 and allowing just one hit and one walk in 18 innings.

The incredible performance during the 2006 Kajikawa Classic in Tempe paid off for more than just the No. 3 Arizona softball team this weekend. Senior pitcher Alicia Hollowell was honored for her tremendous work when she was named the USA Softball Player of the Week.

This was the first week this season the award was given out. It was given accordingly, as Hollowell pitched a nearly flawless weekend. During the Kajikawa Classic last weekend, Hollowell pitched three games, throwing back-to-back no-hitters in the first two and allowing just one hit and one walk against highly ranked opponents.

Alicia Hollowell stats

In her last three starts:
    6 innings 1BB 16K 0 hits
    5 innings 0BB 9K 0 hits
    7 innings 0BB 11K 1hit
    Total stats:
    18 innings 1BB 36K 1hit

“”It’s an honor and nice to receive,”” Hollowell said.

Hollowell also earned Pacific-10 Conference Pitcher of the Week honors, as she struck out 36 of the 57 batters she faced.

“”She had a great weekend, and it’s a great achievement for her, but Alicia will downplay that because she wants a national championship,”” Arizona head coach Mike Candrea said.

With that statement, it’s easy to see that Candrea has been with Hollowell for four years and knows her well, as Hollowell isn’t letting the honor get to her head.

“”I wouldn’t have done it without the team,”” Hollowell said. “”Its nice but it’s the ‘W’s’ that are important.””

The weekend was close to being one that would go in the record books. Going into the Cal State-Fullerton game Sunday, Hollowell had pitched to within five outs of throwing her third straight no-hitter, which would have set a school record, before allowing her only hit of the weekend.

“”Alicia had a great weekend, and I’m glad to see that she got honored for it,”” said junior shortstop Kristie Fox.