The Spectrum

The “”Air Guitar”” Battle Royale

Ah, the Loft. It seems like every week it has a slightly dorky, yet ultimately intriguing activity going on. Besides showing the “”Rocky Horror Picture Show”” for like-costumed fans, of course – that’s really not intriguing at all. This time, the mystery comes in the form of an air guitar contest inspired by the new documentary “”Air Guitar Nation.”” Prizes will be given out to the winners, but these are probably just dated “”Oldboy”” posters and rubber boogers you can stick under your nose. Oh well, at least it’s over before the bars get out. Friday. 8 p.m. $8.50. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Annual Weird Plant Sale

Unbeknownst to many, the Target garden section does not have a monopoly on the plant market. The Tucson Botanical Gardens will be opening some of their flora selection to the public for two days this week and will be selling among other items cacti, “”succulents,”” “”xerophytic plantsculents”” and “”xerophytic plants.”” Sounds like something from a science fiction movie, but a little bit of Wikipedia research reveals that these terms are really just used to describe desert plants that live on small amounts of water. Well, that still doesn’t rule out “”Dune”” as a habitat, then. Friday is the members-only sale, but Saturday is open to the public. 8 to 12 p.m. Free. Tucson Botanical Gardens, 2150 N. Alvernon Way.

The Beach Boys

If you’re hoping to catch an unadulterated glimpse into rock and roll history by going to see these guys, you’ll probably have to visit more than just Desert Diamond Casino. Even though the Web site and ticket venue both state that The Beach Boys will be performing, the title is a little misleading. Apparently, “”The Beach Boys”” just refers to singer Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. If you want to go see the infamous crazy-pot/genius Brian Wilson, who incidentally probably enjoys playing a piano in a sandbox inside his living room more than touring, you’ll have to catch him at a later date. (FYI: he’s touring Europe, so don’t hold your breath.) Saturday. 8 p.m. $32-45 advance, $37-50 day of show. Desert Diamond Casino, 1100 W. Pima Mine Road.

Introduction to Scientology

Fans of science fiction will probably get a kick out of this movie because in addition to being completely ridiculous, it also features a “”candid”” interview with L. Ron Hubbard. Think about how funny it’ll be to watch this thing. The only drawback is that you might have to deal with some pretty avid Scientologists trying to bring you into the force. But on the bright side, Tom Cruise’s meta-alien spiritual double might make a cameo. Sunday. 2 p.m. Free. Church of Scientology and Dianetics Foundation, 1703 E. Fort Lowell Road.

Fourth Avenue Urban Zendo Group

If the Scientology movie didn’t quite satisfy your spiritual needs, you can always meditate in front of the old Wingspan storefront, one block west of Dairy Queen and Plush. This meditation group advises that you arrive 5-10 minutes early so you can start sitting at the top of the hour. After 25 minutes, you do a walking meditation for five minutes, and then sit for another 25 minutes. Cushions and chairs will be provided, but you can bring your own sitting gear. Not too sure if you have to shave three-fifths of your head and don a dhoti, though. Probably not. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. 1-2 p.m. Free. Three Jewels, 314 E. Sixth St.

-compiled by Andi Berlin