Hoops now in 5-way tie for 2nd

From left, UA forward Jamelle Horne, center Kyryl Natyazhko and guard Nic Wise look on from the bench toward the end of a 78-60 loss as Washington State on Saturday night. With the loss the Wildcats moved into a five-way tie for second place in the Pacific-10 conference.

Cougar sophomore DeAngelo Casto scored 19 points and blocked three shots as the Washington State men’s basketball team beat Arizona 78-60 on Saturday in Pullman, Wash. The loss knocked the Wildcats out of a four-way tie for first place in the Pacific 10 Conference. Arizona, Washington, ASU, USC and UCLA all have a 6-5 conference record.

The Wildcats were tied for first with three other teams heading into Saturday’s game and are now in a five-way tie for second place. California is at the top of the Pac-10 with a 7-4 conference record.

WSU guard Klay Thompson had 14 points and freshman Reggie Moore scored 12 for the Cougars (15-8, 5-6 Pac-10), who had lost three straight. Washington State held Arizona to 42 percent shooting to sweep the season series.

Arizona freshman Derrick Williams led his team by scoring 16 points and grabbing seven rebounds for the Wildcats (12-11, 6-5), who were coming off a narrow loss at Washington that ended a four-game winning streak.

The Wildcats led the Cougars 12-4 nearly five minutes into the game, but their early dominance deminished over the next five minutes. With 10:10 to go in the first half, Washington State tied the game at 16. Arizona tied the game with three minutes left in the half, but never regained the lead.

With the Cougars ahead 32-26 at halftime, their lead increased to 13 with a 7-0 run to begin the second half. Arizona responded with its own 9-1 run to put the score at 40-35 with just more than 15 minutes remaining, but after that point, the Wildcats would get no closer than six points.

It was Arizona’s first game since the university announced Friday that it had placed its men’s basketball program on probation for the

2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons for violations by Hall of Fame coach Lute Olson related to an offseason Amateur Athletic Union tournament in 2008 (see below).