Fashion forward look at Arizona football’s new uniforms

Tyler Besh
Tyler Besh / Arizona Summer Wildcat Freshman quarterback, Anu Solomon, wears one of the new UA football unifroms at the Arizona football media day held in the new Lowell-Stevens Football Facility August 18, 2013.

Introducing the Arizona Wildcats fall 2013 football uniform collection.

The new look, created by Nike, offers a myriad of outfit combinations. Jerseys and pants come in cardinal, navy and white, making for seemingly endless combinations.

The Wildcats also jumped on the ombré style train this year, as the jerseys include ombré sleeves and ombré numbers. For example, on the red jerseys, the numbers and sleeves fade from blue to red.

Arizona football is also bringing back the copper helmet this season.

These were necessary updates, because uniform swag is pretty important in the Pac-12 conference.

The Oregon Ducks are like the Lady Gaga of football fashion. Each week they come out with something even more outrageous (at least as far as collegiate football uniforms go), but it works for them.

The Wildcats will never have uniforms on that level, and that’s OK. If other schools tried doing what Oregon does, incorporating neon colors and strange feather designs, it would look like they were trying way too hard.

The Wildcats do, however, have to compete with Cal and Oregon State this season. Both schools unveiled not only a new uniform collection, but new logos as well.

Although the ombré trend is on its way out, there’s much to approve of the new uniforms.

They look sleek and intense, but not over the top. They use and emphasize the school colors well, which is most important in a uniform.

Plus, new is always exciting. Senior cornerback Shaquille Richardson said wearing new uniforms is like wearing new clothes on the first day of school. It might not affect your performance, but it can boost your confidence.

For players, new uniforms are an extra perk. However, what matters is still that they show up on the football field, regardless of what style uniform they’re wearing.

“You could put me out there in all pink and I wouldn’t care,” freshman linebacker Scooby Wright said.

Pride of Arizona Uniforms

Also new this fall is the Pride of Arizona marching band uniform.
The Pride was in dire need of a makeover.

After 12 seasons of use, it was no surprise the uniforms were wearing out. Sequins were missing and buttons were falling off, said senior drum major Drew Eary.

These uniforms saw many pep rallies, football games and even several bowl games. It was high time for a revamp.

As a former POA member, I have to say, the new uniforms are on point. They are similar enough to the old uniforms to be recognizable, but have a modern twist that makes the band look both classy and fresh.

The shako, or hat, is all white, as are the gauntlets, while the pants are blue.

The jacket is red with a blue back, so when the band is on the field, a quick turn-around demonstrates a color change; when done in unison, the effect is impressive. There is still a sequin element, which adds flash and sets the POA’s uniforms apart from those of other collegiate marching bands. The jackets also feature a prominent block-letter A on their chests.

For Eary, the enlarged block-A is the best part of the new uniforms.

“It’s so large, and it’s so prominent,” Eary said. “It’s so, ‘Yeah! U of A!’”

-Follow Scarlett McCourt @scarlettnoelani