UA fraternity suspended, five others under investigation

Saul Bookman
The Beta Theta Pi house was used as the Alpha Beta Fraternity in the 1984 hit movie “Revenge of the Nerds.”

Sigma Alpha Epsilon, a University of Arizona fraternity, was suspended from campus after an investigation by its national headquarters found it was in violation of health and safety policies. 

The fraternity’s suspension was announced at the end of June by the Dean of Students Office after being notified by Sigma Alpha Epsilon headquarters that the chapter had been disbanded.

“We have tremendous respect for a fraternal organization that holds its members accountable for their actions,” said Kendal Washington White, UA dean of students, in a news release. “Sigma Alpha Epsilon informed us of the reasons for taking such serious action and we fully support that decision.”

When asked about which health and safety violations were involved, Washington White said the UA was allegedly unaware of the specific details.

“The National Office of SAE did not provide us with any additional information other than health and safety violations of their organization’s conduct policy,” she said. 

The Daily Wildcat sent several requests to Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s national headquarters but did not receive a response.

RELATED: History of UA presidential homes

According to Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s national website, the UA chapter of the fraternity was specifically in violation of “Minerva’s Shield,” the organization’s rules for health and safety, which covers a variety of topics such as alcohol, drugs, guns, hazing and sexual assault.

According to the 2017-2018 Judicial Report on the UA Greek Life website, Sigma Alpha Epsilon was also under investigation by the Greek Standards Board in 2017. They were in violation of several code of conduct policies, including alcohol consumption and “endangering, threatening or causing physical harm to any member of the university community or to oneself.” 

As a consequence of the investigation, Sigma Alpha Epsilon was required to pay a fine, update their risk management policies and provide the Greek Standard board a “written reflection on why the chapter felt it was okay to openly serve and provide alcohol to minors and why they now know that it is wrong.”

There are currently several other fraternities, including Alpha Epsilon Pi, Kappa Sigma, Alpha Kappa Lambda, Theta Delta Chi and Beta Theta Pi that are, or were recently, under investigation for potential code of conduct violations.

Both Alpha Epsilon Pi and Kappa Sigma were placed on “Interim Loss of Recognition” status and are prohibited from participating in any organizational activities until the investigation has concluded. Theta Delta Chi was suspended from events with alcohol and lost campus privileges, Alpha Kappa Lambda was suspended from events with alcohol and Beta Theta Pi is on interim full activities suspension.

Follow Jasmine Demers on Twitter