Arizona WBB routs Cal by 23 points

Marison Bilagody

Arizona women’s basketball players Cate Reese and Helena Pueyo box out a Stanford University player in McKale Center on Thursday, Feb. 9, during a game. The Wildcats lost to Stanford 60-84.

Arizona women’s basketball beat the University of California, Berkeley 80-57 in McKale Center on Sunday, Feb. 12, at 12 p.m.

First Half

Esmery Martinez started the game off by making two free throws within the first minute. Cal quickly responded, with Leilani McIntosh making two free throws.

At the end of the first quarter, Arizona only had a two-point lead; the score was 12-10 Wildcats. Arizona had a 75% free throw average and a 20% 3-point average in the first quarter.

At the half, Arizona was winning 33-20, and Cal struggled to beat the Wildcats’ defense. Arizona struggled with their 3-pointers, having only made one out of the three that they took in the second quarter.

Second Half

In the third quarter, Arizona scored 22 points, giving the Wildcats a 15-point lead over Cal. Arizona made four out of seven of their 3-point shots taken, averaging at around 57%.

With 7:53 left in the third quarter, Paris Clark made a beautiful 3-pointer off a fast break that was assisted by Shaina Pellington.

Head coach Adia Barnes made three substitutions, putting Helena Pueyo, Jade Loville and Maya Nnaji back into the game with 4:35 left in the third quarter.

Arizona continued to hold the lead for the rest of the game, scoring 25 more points on Cal’s defense. The Wildcats made seven out of the eight free throws taken in the fourth quarter.

Key players

Martinez stepped up in the game, securing 15 points, 15 rebounds and seven assists for the Wildcats. Pellington also scored 24 points against Cal.

Important numbers

Arizona is on a five-game winning streak against Cal, going back to 2020.

Cal had 14 points off turnovers compared to Arizona’s total of 23 points off of turnovers. The Wildcats had 26 bench points while Cal had 20. Arizona capitalized on their fast breaks, making a whopping 19 points, which was 10 more than Cal, who only had nine.

Looking ahead

The Wildcats will be in McKale Center this week playing the No. 4 University of Utah on Friday, Feb. 17, at 7 p.m.

Follow Delaney Penn on Twitter