Staff Picks

The sports scene in Durham, N.C., isn’t too great from what I know about it ­— Karen Owen’s sex list not counting. Anyway, the basketball team pretty much makes up for all of the athletic programs shortcomings. Arizona will have to bring its best for a full 40 minutes, and the Blue Devils’ pressure on the ball will disrupt Arizona’s offense, making it difficult for the Wildcats point guards to set up the offense, and thus, get the ball to Derrick Williams. Arizona hangs close throughout but doesn’t have the firepower to pull it out in the end.

Duke 75, Arizona 68

Kevin Zimmerman

Arizona practiced at California’s La Mirada High yesterday, the school where Derrick Williams won a state title in high school. His family watched. His friends did too. But when asked whether they would be at the game, he said the $400 ticket prices would be too steep for 40 minutes of basketball. Maybe that’s a good thing, cutting the distractions that caused Arizona to get spanked in its last trip to Southern California this season. Then again, this is the Sweet 16 against the all-mighty Duke — a school that plays in another league of college basketball.

Duke 82, Arizona 72

Bryan Roy

All of my life I have strongly disliked Duke. Jay Williams? No thanks. J.J. Redick? Easily my least favorite athlete of all time. But really, when you think about it, there’s no reason to dislike Duke. Its student-athletes are incredibly impressive and Coach K is one of the most admirable people in all of sports. But onto the game. I’m not an idiot — Duke is really, really good. They’re the favorite. But while the Blue Devils are kickin’ it in the front seat, the Wildcats are sittin’ in the back seat. I got to make my mind up: which seat should I take? My lifetime of being anti-Duke comes to a head tonight.

Arizona 79, Duke 76

Tim Kosch