Arizona women’s tennis conquers the court with a sweep

Amelia McAnear

University of Arizona’s Salma Ziouti serves the ball in a match against GCU at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center on Jan. 22. The Wildcats went on to win the match 4-0. 

Arizona women’s tennis advances their undefeated home record after a three-game sweep against California State University, Fresno on Friday, Feb. 3, and Florida Atlantic University and NAU on Saturday, Feb. 4, at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.

The Wildcats returned home to Arizona’s sunshine this weekend following last week’s first spring loss to the No. 20 University of Florida at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Kickoff in College Station, Texas, and facing schedule delays due to heavy rain.

Their weekender challenge began against Fresno State on Friday, Feb. 3, where they won 4-2 after defeating the Bulldogs in straight sets in singles play.

Saturday’s doubleheader against Florida Atlantic and NAU was also no disappointment.

Arizona vs. FAU

The day tipped off at 11 a.m. when the Owls joined them on the court for doubles.

Launching the match, Arizona’s Belen Nevenhoven and Midori Castillo-Meza defeated FAU’s Carla Galmiche and Martina Kudelova 6-2.

They were followed by Wildcats Salma Ziouti and Parker Fry, who put up another doubles win 6-3 against Victoria Gomez O’Hayon and Lexi Silna.

Finally, In Arizona’s favor, Kayla Wilkins and Reece Carter closed the doubles matches after frustrating Millie-Mae Matthews and Katerina Filip 5-2.

Singles play was no different as Arizona proceeded to conquer FAU in straight sets with no shortage in sight. Castillo-Meza defeated Filip 7-5 and 6-0, Wilkins won against Silna 6-3, 6-1 and Carter sealed the victory by beating Amber McGinnis 6-3, 6-2.

The match against Florida Atlantic was finalized as a 4-0 sweep for Arizona.

Arizona vs. NAU

Later in the day, UA took on NAU at 2 p.m. where they took home their third win during the concluding match of the weekend 4-1.

Duo Nevenhoven and Castillo-Meza won in the doubles match against Lumberjacks Ava Neyestani and Ana Guadiana 6-3. They were followed by Wildcat winners Carter and Wilkins who beat Daryna Shoshyna and Elinor Beazley 7-5.

Singles were won by Ziouti (6-3, 6-0), Tanvi Narendran (6-1, 6-2) and Castillo-Meza (6-0, 6-2). Nevenhoven was defeated by Shoshyna 6-4, 6-1.

Narendran is presently tied with Ziouti for having the highest number of singles wins thus far in the season with six. After this weekend, Arizona remains undefeated at home with an overall record of 6-1. Its next matchups are in Honolulu, Hawai’i against the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa on Feb. 10 and 11. The last time the two teams met was Jan. 24, 2016, where Hawai’i beat UA 4-3.

Follow Madison Carney on Twitter