Feeling better

The Arizona men’s tennis team returns home this weekend after abruptly ending its stay in Texas last weekend. After losing to No. 44 University of Miami in the first round of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend, the Wildcats were forced to default their second match versus No. 40 Mississippi State when the team came down with a virus.

Coach Tad Berkowitz doesn’t attribute the loss to Miami to the virus, but it certainly did not help Arizona’s chances. “”A few guys couldn’t play but we’re not making excuses, we pride ourselves on our depth. Miami is a good team,”” Berkowitz said.

The Wildcats (1-2) will face the University of the Pacific Tigers (0-3) at 1 p.m. this afternoon at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center in the first game of a five-game home stand. This meeting will be the fifth between the schools, with the Wildcats having won all previous matchups.

The Northern Arizona Lumberjacks (2-1) come into Tucson on Sunday for the 25th meeting between the two Arizona schools, including last year’s 5-1 Wildcat win. The Wildcats have been victorious in 23 out of the 24 times they have faced NAU.

Despite their two losses last weekend, the Wildcats remained ranked No. 32. Senior Andres Carrasco received the No. 16 spot in the first edition of the Southwest Regional rankings.

While the men’s tennis team had a rough weekend away from home last week, the women’s team continues to take care of business. The No. 49 ranked Wildcats (4-0) will take on the Fresno State Bulldogs this afternoon in Fresno, Calif. The Bulldogs opened their season yesterday against No. 40 St. Mary’s.

The Wildcats will try to end the weekend on a good note on Saturday when they face the University of Nevada Wolf Pack (1-1).