Swim Brief

When it comes to the Swimming Pacific 10 Conference Championships, ladies go first. The No. 7 Arizona women’s swimming and diving team starts competition today in Federal Way, Wash., at the Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center.

The team went 7-4 in their dual meet season. Despite the lower ranking in comparison to past Arizona teams, the squad is going into the meet bearing several nationally ranked times.

Among the list, junior Alyssa Anderson, who was recently awarded Counsilman-Hunsaker National Collegiate Swimmer-of-the-Week, is ranked No. 1 in the 500-yard freestyle and No. 3 in both the 200y freestyle and 200y butterfly.

Freshman Margo Geer, who is considered one of the nation’s best sprinters, holds the No. 2 time for the 50y freestyle and No. 3 time in the 100y freestyle. For the 100y breaststroke, sophomore Ellyn Baumgardner has the No. 3 fastest time in the country.

And, for medleys, Arizona has the No. 2 time for the 200y and No. 3 time for the 400y.

Similar to the Texas Invitatiional back in December, many of the swimmers are aiming to obtain NCAA cut times.

As Busch and the swimmers have reiterated throughout the season, their “”big dance”” is the NCAA tournament in March.

The women’s team will compete today through Saturday, while the No. 6 men’s team is at home preparing for its shot in the conference meet next week.