Police Beat, winter break edition: Hot crime didn’t freeze

Lexi Horsey
The University of Arizona Police Department on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019, in Tucson.

The new semester is underway, but life on campus didn’t come to a full stop when students went home for the break. People kept busy with dumpster diving on Greek Row or grabbing a drink to go from the Global Center market. Check out these stories on this week’s police beat!

Sorority girls are not the only ones looking for trash on Greek Row

University of Arizona Police Department responded to a call from members of the fraternity Phi Gamma Delta where an unknown man was allegedly dumpster diving in their back lot. 

The man was described to be white, around 40 years old and wearing all black clothing and a red hat. 

According to the police report, the witness said that the man was “squeezing” into a locked area outside of Phi Gamma Delta, then was heard rummaging through the dumpster and then squeezed out of the area. The man took off his red hat after he left, but police were able to catch up to him as he walked toward the bus stop on Speedway Boulevard.

The man was identified as a non-UA affiliate and UAPD conducted a records check on him. It turned out he had a warrant from the UAPD for trespassing and was promptly placed under arrest.

RELATED: Police Beat 11/23/2021: Peculiar packages and poor decisions

Four for Four

A woman was arrested after being caught on security footage stealing a Coca-Cola and strawberry Fanta at the University of Arizona Global Center in the Park Student Union market on Nov. 3. 

According to a UAPD report, an employee at the market, along with the market shift lead, reported the suspect and showed a UAPD officer footage of the woman struggling to shove the sodas down her pants. 

The woman then proceeded to walk past the register and ignore the employee who told her to pay or return the stolen soda. The woman’s loot was valued at $4, according to the prices listed at the market. 

The officer identified the woman in the footage to be someone with an ongoing exclusionary order from the campus. 

Police searched the surrounding area for her but were not able to locate her at the time. The police informed the employees at the Global Center that the woman had an exclusionary order from the university and to call them if she came around again. 

On Nov. 6 an officer was headed southbound on Euclid Avenue. around 3 p.m. when they saw a woman fitting the soda thief’s physical description walking down an alley near Sonora Residence Hall. The officer exited their patrol car after positively identifying the woman as the suspect and approached her to arrest her for trespassing and shoplifting charges. 

The officer informed her that she had a current exclusionary order from campus and he was going to arrest her for violating it. He reached for her wrist and the woman tried to run away. The officer caught her by the shoulder then handcuffed her with no further resistance. 

When the officer started explaining the charges she was being arrested with and describing the previous events at the Global Center market, the woman claimed that she owned the university and that the officer was a rapist. 

She received four citations, then was transported to the Pima County Jail and booked. 

Follow Annabel Lecky and Kate Ewing on Twitter