Police Beat: Jan. 20, 2016

Don’t trust the police

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers noticed a student walking unsteadily, so they parked the patrol vehicle near the Park Student Union to observe him.

The student was leaning against a van that was parked by the Coronado Residence Hall. He stood there for a few minutes, then proceeded to punch the side view mirror into the locking position.

The two UAPD officers drove to the student and instructed him to take a seat while they investigated the situation.

The officers could smell alcohol on the student and noticed his watery, blood shot eyes and slurred speech.

When the officers asked the student’s age, he responded with 17 years old, then 18 and eventually 19 years of age when an officer obtained his drivers license. While the officer was inspecting the punched vehicle for damage, the student sat breathing heavily.

The student said that the van had belonged to his aunt, which she had lent to him. However, the van did not belong to his aunt.

The student admitted to drinking earlier that night, but did not say where. When asked if he had ever been contacted by UAPD prior to this time, the student replied with “no,” and told the officers that he did not trust UAPD.

The student said that he didn’t trust the officers because he thought he was going to jail and didn’t want to get his friends in trouble. An officer explained that he didn’t plan to place the student in jail and that his friends were not involved in the situation.

The officers gave the student a ride home after explaining to him the student diversion process for minor in possession.

You got that OG Crush?

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers got a call reporting the smell of marijuana in the Posada San Pedro Residence Hall.

One officer could smell a strong odor of marijuana coming from a particular room in the dorm. After knocking twice, a male student and resident of the room allowed the officers to enter, where they smelled marijuana.

The officers explained to the resident the reason for the call and asked if he had any marijuana in the room. The student said he didn’t have marijuana in the room, but had smoked earlier that day off campus.

The student presented the officers with marijuana paraphernalia, which included a grinder and two prescription bottles. One of the prescription bottles smelled of marijuana and was labeled as “OG Crush.”

The officers asked if the student had a medical marijuana card, which the student responded that he did not. They found green shavings in the grinder, which later tested positive for marijuana and weighed 1.2 grams.

The resident was then diverted to the Dean of Students Office for possession of drug paraphernalia.

Follow Lauren Renteria on Twitter