ABOR Update: Last meeting for two regents

2:00 PM – As the Arizona Board of Regents meeting for January came to an end, the regents said farewell to long-time board members, Robert Bulla and Fred Boice.

A private luncheon will be held later this afternoon for the two regents to honor their service and commitment.

Fred Boice is from Tucson, and was appointed to the Arizona Board of Regents in 2002. He heads Boice Financial Co. and is the board chairman of the wood products manufacturing company, Caseworks Industries, Inc. He also serves on the Board of Trustees of the University Medical Center.

“”It’s been an honor to serve,”” Boice said. “”In spite of the current economic climate, I believe the system is better than it was eight years ago.””

Boice said he is grateful for the executive staff and to all of the regents for their dedication to the board. After today he plans to continue taking care of his business but first he wants to take his wife of 57 years on vacation.

He and his wife are planning on traveling to Machu Picchu, Peru in March.

Regent Robert Bulla, from Phoenix, isn’t quite sure what he plans to do once he officially retires from the Arizona Board of Regents but he has options. Bulla was also appointed to the Board in 2002 after being named Valley leadership’s Man of the Year in 2001.

Bulla plans to continue serving the community on the Heard Museum Board and the Desert Botanical Garden Board. He is the former CEO of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Arizona and he continues to serve the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Arizona Board. Aside from his continued community service, Bulla plans to brush up on his golf game.

“”Maybe my golf game will come back,”” Bulla said. “”The students just gave me some golf balls.””

Bulla is referring to the gift box both he and Boice were presented with from ASUA President Chris Nagata.

“”[I have] a lot of mixed emotions,”” Bulla said. “”I’m going to miss a lot of people.””