ASUA announces primary results

Gabriela Diaz
Gabriela Diaz / Arizona Daily Wildcat ASUA primaries. Morgan Abraham gets the majority of the votes with a 56.4%. Dylan Duniho also advances to the general elections, getting 22.0% of the votes.

The results of the 2013 Associated Students of the University of Arizona primary elections were announced Thursday night affirming ASUA presidential candidates Morgan Abraham and Dylan Duniho will advance to the general election.

A total of 3,213 votes were cast, an improvement from last years total of 3,011 votes.

Abraham received 56.4 percent of the total vote and Duniho received 22 percent. The other presidential candidate, Anthony Carli, received 21.2 percent of the total vote but did not advance to the general election.

The Executive Vice President position did not have an official candidate on the ballot, however, Mariam Nikola, a write-in candidate, received a total of 200 votes.

Nikola’s primary results have no correlation to the general election and there will again be no named candidate on the official general ballot. Other students can add their names to the executive vice presidential race as a write-in candidate but no formal announcements have been made yet.

In the administrative vice presidential race, Amanda Lester is running unopposed and therefore advancing to the general election.

All 12 candidates in the senate race advanced to the general election. Elena Gold had the highest amount of votes with 13.4 percent and Jorge Gonzales had the least amount with 4.5 percent. Of the 12 candidates, the 10 with the most votes in the general election will be elected to the senate.

General elections will be held on March 5 and 6.