Mall fair today to educate on environment

Don’t think you know enough about being eco-friendly?

If so, consider checking out today’s Sustainability Fair on the UA Mall, organized by the UA’s Campus Sustainability Committee and Residence Life.

The event, put on in celebration of Earth Day, will occur from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and feature a variety of information-based booths and exhibits.

“”The committee has been planning this for four months,”” said Kevin Burke, campus graduate assistant to the committee. “”We’re looking to take it up a notch with more participation.””

The fair is the kick-off event for the Campus Sustainability Committee, which is aiming to hold such a fair every semester, Burke said.

About 40 groups, including campus clubs, research organizations, vendors with the weekly farmer’s market and KAMP Student Radio will be on hand, he said.

One expected highlight includes members of the Arizona Student Recycling Association, who will build makeshift houses complete with living rooms, couches and kitchen sinks, said President Stephan Classen.

The members will be in each room to demonstrate eco-friendly habits in the household, like what kind of light bulbs are safer than others, he said.

Students will also have the chance to pledge to be more eco-aware by signing their names with environmentally friendly paint, Burke said.

“”You can leave your hand print on the board – it’s our take on the ecological footprint,”” he said.

Other unique exhibits are the sustainability committee’s booth, which will challenge the idea that tap water is of lower quality than bottled water, Burke said.

The committee will generally discuss the environmental aspects of water, water resources and global issues with water, he said.

For more information about the fair, as well as UA student clubs that deal with ecological issues, visit sustainability.arizona.edu.