Roundtable: How many games will Arizona football win this season?

Megan Ewing
Arizona plays in the Spring Game on Saturday, April 24 in Tucson, Ariz. Gronkowski and Bruschi served as coaches for the Spring Game.

Jordan Pollock – 5-7

Though never having any previous head coaching experience, I have loved what Jedd Fisch has done since day one. Fisch has worked to change the culture by dipping into the past, with key coaching staff pickups of alumni Ricky Hunley and Chuck Cecil and adding Tedy Bruschi as a senior advisor.  

Pulling out talent from other schools through the transfer portal was important for this roster almost as much as getting veteran players to withdraw their names and stay. Fisch getting veteran players to buy in early is a trend that I believe will take a few full seasons to see the fruit of winning on the field. This team has talent and enough experienced coaching to win some games, which is a lot more than we could say about this team 10 months ago.  I think this team will go 5-7 which is one win short of making a bowl appearance.

Ryan Wohl – 3-9

The only way from here is up, and I believe that this season is more about the development of the Wildcats young talent than about games won necessarily.  The spirit of this team has changed dramatically over the last six months with the new coaching changes and that is the first step to build a winning culture. Fisch recently named co-starting quarterbacks with Will Plummer and Gunner Cruz. I’m not the biggest fan of this idea, because we saw how it worked out when Sumlin tried to do it two seasons ago with Khalil Tate and Grant Gunnell. 

I do believe that Fisch is unsure now but will decide about the leader of his offense a few weeks into the season. This team will struggle in every area this season as it is a new system, new players, new coaches, so it could resemble last season at some points but just remember, trust the process. I am predicting a three-win season for the Wildcats this season as their schedule is relatively hard. 

Sean Fagan -  4-8

I understand all the hype surrounding head coach Jedd Fisch and the Wildcats this year, but this team is in rebuild mode. Last year the team went 0-5 and had one of the worst offenses and defenses in the country. Most of those players are still here and until Fisch gets the players he wants nothing will change. 

I believe Arizona will win their first three games of the season, but after that it will go downhill because Pac-12 play begins. Their sole conference win should come against University of California, Berkley during homecoming weekend because the Golden Bears are the only other team in the Pac-12 as bad as Arizona. Bear Down … for a rough season. 

RELATED: What sports will look like in the fall: Q&A with ZonaZoo’s Marissa Simental

Bryan Savic – 4-8

After coming off one of their worst seasons in recent memory, it’s no surprise that many people and sports pundits alike have very moderate expectations for the Arizona football team this season, myself included. This team’s ceiling is four wins. Any more than that would be really pushing it. Yes, it’s true that Jedd Fisch has already proven himself as one of the savviest promoters in all of college football. That’s great and all, however he was hired as head coach and not head promoter. He’s still yet to prove himself as a head coach as he’ll certainly get that chance in the season opener against BYU. 

Not taking anything away from Fisch, as he’s done an excellent job of getting his players to buy into his philosophy and system. He’s also been great with community outreach and has given fans a renewed sense of excitement that we haven’t seen surrounding the football team for a while now. However, he has inherited a team with a lot of question marks, especially at the quarterback position. Whoever is named the starting quarterback will have to be more than a field general if Arizona is going to have any chance of being competitive this season. Now, I do see the defense improving this year thanks to the creative play calling of new defensive coordinator Don Brown. A guy that is known for dialing up exotic blitz packages that should play to the strengths of the defensive front seven.

Realistically, I could see Arizona finishing with a 4-8 record at most due to their strength of schedule and how they are currently in full rebuild mode right now. Still, a win or two would be considered a successful campaign after what transpired last season.

Asher Bookspan – 3-9

After not winning since 2019, I was skeptical of the hiring of Jedd Fisch. Seeing the support from alumni like Rob Gronkowski and Tedy Bruschi, as well as who he brought in on his coaching staff, I think there is a reason to look forward to the season. The starting quarterback spot remains a question, but the offensive line has had a strong summer. I think the skill position players have the potential to be productive depending on how the two-quarterback approach goes. 

In my opinion, hiring Don “Dr. Blitz” Brown as defensive coordinator was a smart hire. I think the defense will take a step forward this year under the aggressive style of play Brown brings. When I look at the team Fisch has assembled and the energy he has brought since being hired, I am cautiously optimistic for this upcoming season. I think Arizona will go 3-9 with a win over ASU.

Jake Faigus – 4-8

I think that the Arizona football team should be improved this year. The only way to go from where they were is up. The last coaching staff left the cupboard bare, so there just isn’t a lot of talent on either side of the ball, with quarterback being the biggest hole to fill. I think bright spots exist at running back and wide receiver, and then also the defensive backfield. Overall, I believe the effort will be there for the team, where it wasn’t last year, and I believe this team can finish 4-8, which would be a success with the schedule they have, and they can use that momentum to aim for a bowl game in 2022.

Follow Daily Wildcat Sports on Twitter