Wright back with the Wildcats

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The No. 15 Arizona Wildcats hosted the Washington Huskies in a Pacific 1o Conference matchup Saturday, Oct. 23, 2010 at Arizona Stadium in Tucson, Ariz. The Wildcats rolled to a 44-14 behind backup quarterback Matt Scott.
Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat The No. 15 Arizona Wildcats hosted the Washington Huskies in a Pacific 1o Conference matchup Saturday, Oct. 23, 2010 at Arizona Stadium in Tucson, Ariz. The Wildcats rolled to a 44-14 behind backup quarterback Matt Scott.

Junior receiver William “”Bug”” Wright, who was suspended for violating team rules three weeks ago, is practicing and will travel with the Wildcats to San Antonio, Texas, for the Dec. 29 Valero Alamo Bowl.

“”I’m back in there. I’m going to hit the practice field again and try to get back in the groove of things,”” said Wright, who hasn’t played since the UCLA game on Oct. 30 due to injury and suspension.

Wright still doesn’t know his role going into the game against Oklahoma State and admitted breakout sophomore Terrence Miller still owns the starting job at inside receiver, but being on the field is “”all I can ask for,”” he said.

“”Oh man, you don’t even understand bro,”” Wright added. “”I missed playing with my teammates, man. It was real hard sitting out not playing but you’ve got to pay for what you do.””

Wright wouldn’t comment on exactly why he was initially suspended as he said, “”I really would rather not talk about it.””

The junior didn’t live up to expectations throughout the regular season, snaring 25 passes for 294 yards and two touchdowns in eight games. He came into the 2010 season as Nick Foles’ third option, but struggled both as a receiver and punt returner. 

While he failed to perform at times on the field, it was the off the field missteps that cost Wright the most. Stoops said that Wright needs to “”continue to do the things the way our team expects”” if he hopes to garner playing time, and the speedy receiver is ready to make some changes.

“”I’ll definitely learn from it and definitely make no more mistakes like that,”” Wright said. “”It’s just growing pains. You live and you live and learn, you learn from it.””

Wright is itching to get back onto the field, not just because he’s been forced away from football for three weeks, but due to his Oklahoma ties. He grew up in Tatums, Okla., and always yearned for a chance to sport the black and orange and play for the Cowboys. 

“”Actually my sister ran track for them and that was the school I wanted to go to,”” Wright said. “”My head coach from high school, he went there too. It didn’t work out, but I’m glad to get to play against them, see what they’re missing out on.””

Although he may not even play a snap with the emergence of Miller and freshman receiver Richard Morrison, Wright still will have about 20 friends and family cheering him on at the Alamodome.

But regardless of how many snaps he plays and how many members of the Wright contingent show up, the junior couldn’t be happier for a second chance.

“”It’s just great to be back,”” he said with a smile.

Wright says Blackmon’s a product of the system

The Alamo Bowl’s must-watch player is undoubtedly Cowboys’ receiver Justin Blackmon. He has at least 100 yards receiving and a touchdown in every game this season, but Wright said Blackmon wasn’t always such a stud on the field.

“”I played against Justin Blackmon in high school. He wasn’t what he was in high school, you can ask him about that,”” he said.

Blackmon won the award for the nation’s top receiver, but Wright ever so subtly said that the physical wide out is a product of the Cowboys’ system.

“”He’s in the right system,”” he said. “”They design plays for him and all that so he’s a good player.””