Arizona Wildcats football cruises to 38-13 win over UTSA

Tyler Besh/The Daily Wildcat UA junior running back Ka’Deem Carey dives for a touchdown

The Arizona Wildcats beat the UTSA Roadrunners, 38-13, on Saturday night at Arizona Stadium.

Head coach Rich Rodriguez described the Wildcats performance as “businesslike” against a scrappy UTSA squad.

The Roadrunners opened the game with possession of the ball and, after an 11-play, 58-yard dive, scored a 34-yard field goal.

This was the first time the Wildcats trailed all season.

Arizona responded in its opening drive with a touchdown by true freshman Samajie Grant.

Coming into the game, Grant had one reception for 12 yards.

In one drive, he was targeted five times and had four receptions for 46 yards.

Senior quarterback B.J. Denker said he didn’t think the plan was to throw so much in the opening drive, but after reading UTSA’s defense, opted to play in the air.

“We were going off what the defense was giving us,” Denker said. “We knew they were going to put a lot on the box to stop Ka’Deem [Carey].”

This was Grant’s first touchdown in his collegiate career. Rodriguez said he expects Grant to have a great career.

“He’s one of the fastest guys we’ve got,” Rodriguez said. “As a true freshman he’s got great football instincts.”

Arizona continued the momentum late in the first quarter with another touchdown, this time by Denker.

After rushing for 35 yards, Denker rolled into the end zone, falling on top of Grant and landing in the end zone.

Officials ruled the ball down at the one yard line, but after review, called it a touchdown.

This was Denker’s second 35-yard run of the season, with the other coming at UNLV last week.

The Wildcats led 14-3 at the end of the first quarter.

In the second quarter, UTSA showed signs of life with a 43-yard field goal, but junior running back Ka’Deem Carey answered with a four-yard rushing touchdown, the 32nd of his career.

Arizona opened the second half with an early rushing touchdown by Denker.

Denker ended the night with 14-for-21 for 158 yards passing with one touchdown and a rating 145.6. He rushed for 90 yards and two touchdowns on 10 carries.

In the fourth quarter, Carey continued to work his magic with his second touchdown of the night. He ended with 128 yards rushing, a game high.

“I’m starting to get the cobwebs off of me,” Carey said. “I’m loving it right now.”

UTSA showed a glimmer of hope in the fourth quarter with a four-yard touchdown run, but it wasn’t enough for the Roadrunners.

Arizona ended non-conference play undefeated.

“3-0. That’s the biggest thing for me,” Denker said. “3-0. That’s most important.”

— Follow Scarlett McCourt @scarlettnoelani