How to prepare for the upcoming elections

Tucsonans will get the chance to vote in the municipal 2015 general and special election Nov. 3. Mayor Jonathan Rothschild and three city council members from the 1st, 2nd and 4th wards are up for re-election.

Mayor Rothschild, the incumbent Democrat, is running0un opposed, and it appears he is only weeks away from securing a second term. The three Democrat city council members up for election, however, are facing competition from a team of three Republican candidates. The city council hopefuls have dubbed themselves The Winning Team.

This summer, the incumbent city council members up for re-election were attacked by independent expenditure committee Revitalize Tucson. In a move causing some controversy, Revitalize Tucson spent $15,200 to purchase 20 billboards asking questions that imply current city council members have run Tucson into the ground. One billboard stated: “Who made Tucson the 5th poorest city in the U.S.? Ask Shirley Scott, Paul Cunningham & Regina Romero.”

This year’s ballot will feature four propositions, including a proposition that would make illegal the use of red light and speed cameras in Tucson.

Want to vote? Here’s how:

1 — Register with the state of Arizona to vote on or before Oct. 5. If you are reading this and have not registered, it’s too late.

However, fear not. There is still time to register to vote in the Presidential primaries that begin in Arizona on Feb. 24. Go to the Arizona Secretary of State’s website to access the online voter registration form. You may complete the form online or print a hard copy to mail in.

2 — To obtain an early ballot, contact the Pima County Recorder and request an early ballot be mailed to your house. Alternately, you can visit your designated poll on election day. All polls are in Pima County this election. Find the poll you are registered at by searching on the Pima County Recorder’s Polling Place Lookup page.

3 — Bring a government-issued photo ID or two other forms of identification to the polls if you want to receive a ballot. Acceptable forms of identification are listed at the Arizona Secretary of State website.

4 — You may also bring a friend to the polls. According to the City of Tucson Election guide, any voter may be accompanied into the voting booth by a person of the voter’s choice. You never know when you may need that mid-voting pep talk.

5 — Take ownership of your ballot. You may not sell or trade your ballot to lazy friends who forgot to register. It’s a felony.

6 — Once you cast your ballot, you will receive an “I Voted” sticker. Wear this proudly and encourage other to exercise their rights as democratic citizens.

Follow Michelle Jaquette on Twitter.