Senate ties up loose ends in last meeting of semester (ASUA Notebok 4/24/2019)

Chloe Hislop
Matthew Rein, executive vice president of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona, and Eller College of Management Senator Michelle Mendoza at the ASUA meeting on February 20. ASUA serves as the student government for the University of Arizona.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona, the UA’s undergraduate governing body, held its last Senate meeting for the semester on April 24, approved bylaws and discussed stipends and the Campus Conversation held April 23. 

Campus Closet and Campus Pantry 

ASUA approved Campus Closet and Campus Pantry’s bylaws unanimously. 

RELATED: ASUA Senate passes resolution in support of mental health awareness

Kate Rosenstengel, administrative vice president, said there were slight changes to Campus Pantry’s bylaws. 

“Every year, the structure changes a little bit, so this is just an update about how campus pantry functions,” Rosenstengel said. 

ASUA Stipends 

Senate members were split on passing potential stipends for the fall 2019 semester. 

Prior to the vote, Rosenstengel, who will continue serving in the role of AVP next year, clarified the stipends aren’t set in stone yet.

“Just as a general disclaimer, these are all pretty tentative, so if anything were to happen, we would make those changes in the July meeting,” Rosenstengel said. “This is just a general idea of what those stipends look like.”

Nine senators were in favor, and Bennett Adamson, executive vice president-elect, was opposed. 

Campus Conversation

Natalynn Masters, student body president, discussed her views on the Campus Conversation regarding the “Arizona 3.”

“It’s a really interesting conversation, and I think the task — especially for new folks — [is] understanding what it means to represent all students on campus and take note of that challenge, even when folks higher up don’t fully want to take accountability for what that fully means,” Masters said.   

Cabinet Bylaws 

President-elect Sydney Hess said there were not significant changes to cabinet bylaws besides the addition of a gender based violence outreach director. They were approved unanimously. 

RELATED: Senate goes over budget in most recent meeting

Title IX Resolution

ASUA proposed to allow the next senate body to continue working on a Title IX resolution.   

Club Funding 

Ducks Unlimited, Sigma Lambda Beta and Marine Awareness and Conservation Society all received funding at an appropriations meeting Monday, April 22. ASUA allocated $3,637. 

Follow Priya Jandu on Twitter