Michigan upset by D-IAA team

The Michigan Wolverines were defeated by the Appalachian State Mountaineers 34-32 at the Big House on Saturday. This is quite possibly the biggest upset EVER in college football. Michigan was – was – ranked No. 5 in the nation, was a serious contender for a national championship.

Prior to Saturday, it had never played a team in the Football Championship Subdivision, formerly Division I-AA, and Appalachian State may have been Michigan’s last.

Even though Appalachian State had won the national championship two years running, it was never considered a threat to the Wolverines. Michigan is the winningest program in the history of college football, and Appalachian State is just some cupcake opponent that was supposed to roll over at just the sight of the winged helmets.

I guess that no one told the Mountaineers.

Appalachian State led from the end of the first quarter until about 4:46 left in the fourth, when Mike Hart scampered 56 yards to paydirt for the go-ahead touchdown. Now, if we learned anything from Boise State, it is that the game is not over until the clock reads 0:00.

The Mountaineers blocked a Michigan field goal with 1:47 left, and raced down the field to kick a field goal with 26 seconds left. After a Hail Mary to get Michigan into striking distance, the Wolverines lined up for the game-winning field goal with 6 seconds left.

The team from Boone, N.C., blocked the field goal, the second block in a minute and a half and in the process handed Michigan its most humiliating loss ever.

Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr’s team became the first team ranked in the Associated Press Top-25 poll to ever lose to a DI-AA school. EVER.

If there is anything to take from this day is that never, ever, ever overlook an opponent, no matter who it is. Because if you’re not careful, even the most inferior opponent can do the impossible.

– Michael Fitzpatrick