Adjusting to college life as an out-of-state student

Amy Bailey
Arizona marching band showed their pride during Bear Down Friday on September 28, 2018 in Tucson, Az.

College is a place where people can get a fresh start. Some people opt to move away from home and relocate far away from the life they have always known. For some freshman here on campus, the University of Arizona’s Family Weekend is the first time they will be reunited with their loved ones since move-in. 

For freshman Sierra Moore, these first few months of college have been fun but also hectic. She is from Orange County, California and has not seen her family since they moved her into her dorm in August. 

“Time management has been the hardest part when it comes to college, because it is exciting hanging out with new people and going out to do fun things, but it’s hard to remember I am here to do school work and study,” Moore said. Her family will be taking the trip to Tucson for Family Weekend, and she is most excited to take them to restaurants where she does not have to pay using her CatCard. 

Ecology freshman Kaili Ogden has been learning how to fully live on her own and properly manage her time between fun and her studies. Ogden is from South Elgin, Illinois which is right outside of Chicago. She is very excited to see her mom, whom she has not seen since move-in. 

RELATED: OPINION: No family here for family weekend? Don’t let that stop you from having a fun time!

“I am looking forward to showing my mom around campus and giving her a look into a day in my life, as well as being able to talk to her face-to-face,” Ogden said. 

Ogden will be taking her mom to her sorority’s gala event, which happens to be during Family Weekend, as well as taking her to the Cal vs. Arizona football game. 

Clarissa Flores is a pre-law major and is originally from El Paso, Texas, but she currently lives with her family here in Tucson. Even though she lives with them, she is excited to show them her sorority house and introduce her family to her new friends. 

“The hardest part for me has been adjusting to the new people I have met and the constant heat. As a freshman, my semester has gone well so far. It definitely has been a different pace,” Flores said. 

Flores did not anticipate the workload that is required of college students and has been trying to manage to stay on top of classes and have a social life. 

RELATED: OPINION: Family weekend is great for out-of-state students

Megan Straffon is a psychology major and moved to Tucson from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. Straffon has been struggling with the distance between her and her family and also has had a hard time adjusting to the different time zones. 

“My first semester has been pretty good so far; I am really enjoying college life and being in a sorority. I like being independent, and I really like my classes,” Straffon said. 

Straffon will also be taking her mom to the Cal vs. Arizona football game and will be showing her around campus. 

There are many events the University of Arizona will be hosting throughout the weekend, but freshmen seem most excited to spend time with their families and show them what they have been up to these past few months. Reuniting with their loved ones may be the stress reliever that freshman students have been needing.

Follow Janelle Ash on Twitter