Comm creates GPA requirement for prospective majors

The Department of Communication is proposing a minimum 2.7 cumulative grade-point average requirement to declare communication as a major.

“”We are looking to reduce the number of students who declare communication as a major in half,”” said Jake Harwood, a communication professor and the department’s undergraduate director. “”Currently, we have over 700 pre-majors, 300 to 400 majors and 200 to 300 minors and only nine faculty.””

Because of the large enrollment, students have to fight to get into classes and are not graduating on time after classes fill up, Harwood said.

If implemented in the spring, the requirement would affect any student who has not completed the department’s introductory course, Communication 101.

The requirements would not affect current communication majors or minors who have taken the course.

The proposal has been approved by the Undergraduate Council and is waiting on approval at a provost level, Harwood said. If approved, the requirement would take affect immediately.

While contemplating the requirement, the department looked at the average GPA of communication majors and found it was 2.7, Harwood said.

He said the department isn’t worried about the requirement leading to more people declaring communcation as a major, adding that faculty and staff “”would be able to cope.””