Arizona women’s basketball is off to their best start in 20 years

Chloe Hislop

University of Arizona Women’s basketball guard Amari Carter after the exhibition match against Eastern New Mexico on October 27. Carter is a senior at the University of Arizona.

The perfect season continues for Arizona women’s basketball, as they are now 6-0 after a 77-42 victory over Montana. With another blow-out win on the road, the No. 24 Wildcats are firing on all cylinders in the early season.  

Junior Aari McDonald continued her All-American campaign by leading the team with 19 points (8-16 FG) and added 2 steals on the defensive end. Sophomore Cate Reese scored 13 points (5-11 FG) and grabbed a team-high 8 rebounds. Junior Sam Thomas contributed 12 points and 6 rebounds, while Freshman Helena Pueyo recorded 14 points and 5 rebounds. 

The Wildcats had strong shooting each quarter, with 60% in the first quarter. Overall, they shot 51.7% from the field on the game. Considering they only shot 35% from three, this means Arizona was constantly able to attack the basket and rely on good shot selection within the perimeter. 

Montana, on the other hand, had no answers for Arizona’s aggressive defense. They shot a horrific 24.5% from the field and 25% from three. They also turned the ball over 14 times.

It is not an accident that Arizona is off to its best start in 20 years given they are playing at such a high level of basketball on both ends of the court. Arizona’s next game is Friday at 4:00 p.m. against UC Riverside at the McKale Center.

Follow Daniel Philipsborn on Twitter