Bringing a little bit of Russia to Tucson

The UA and Tucson communities have a unique chance Monday, to see the Moscow State Radio Symphony Orchestra play some of Russia’s greatest music.

The orchestra will play a program entirely devoted to one of Russia’s most famous composers, Pyotr Iliych Tchaikovsky, at 7:30 p.m. at Centennial Hall.

The performance will include pieces such as the Hamlet Fantasy Overture after Shakespeare in F minor, Opus 67, one of the composer’s most famous and exciting violin concertos recounting the story of Shakespeare’s “”Hamlet;”” Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 35 and Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 29 “”Pathétique,”” the last work composed by Tchaikovsky before his death.

Conductor Alexei Kornienko will be leading the orchestra with violin soloist Nadezda Tokareva accompanying the rest of the musicians. 

The Moscow State Radio Symphony Orchestra was created in 1978 to educate Russians about their musical history, and has since toured all over the world, achieving a great level of success, both in performances and recordings.

While ticket prices range from as high as $72 for the best seats, UA students, faculty and staff have the chance to pay only $15 to see these world-renowned musicians pay homage to one of history’s most revered composers.

IF YOU GO:

Centennial Hall

7:30 p.m.

$15-$72

Visit www.uapresents.org or call 621-3341 for more information.