Police Beat: August 30

A bag full of goodies

A UA student was cited and released for possession of paraphernalia at approximately 4:46 p.m. on Monday, after a resident assistant in his residence hall reported smelling burning marijuana coming from his room.

An officer from the University of Arizona Police Department arrived at the dorm and was escorted to the student’s room. After knocking on the door, the officer heard the clanking of glass, and requested the door be opened by the resident.

The clanking stopped and one of the four occupants opened the door.

The officer asked who lived in the room and was then granted permission to enter.

He then informed them that he wanted to question them about the odor of marijuana, and read all of them their Miranda rights.

The student who lived in the room informed the officer that he had smoked his remaining marijuana in his room at approximately 3 p.m., before going to the Student Recreation Center to work out.

He also stated there was no additional marijuana in the room.

When the officer asked the student to give him the paraphernalia, the student went to the closet and produced a sports bag containing a glass bong approximately one foot in length, five 16 ounce bottles of isopropyl alcohol, three 10 ounce bottles of Newport butane glass replacement canisters, six rubber cases, a small glass jar, a toilet paper roll, filter paper and a brown bag.

The brown bag also contained a glass tube with a golden color resin. The student stated that no one else had smoked marijuana in the room, or owned any of the paraphernalia.

He was cited and released for possession of paraphernalia and referred to the Dean of Students for a code of conduct violation.

‘A debate’ not an argument

On Monday at approximately 10 a.m., a UA employee called UAPD to report that an unknown man had been calling and harassing her at her workplace.

An officer spoke with the employee, who stated that the man had called either Aug. 22 or Aug. 23 at an unknown time in the morning. She said the man called her three separate times, and made comments regarding guns.

The employee also told the officer that she is used to receiving phone calls from citizens who read the essays that her work posts online, which are typically political in content. She also stated that citizens usually use vulgar language and are upset when they call, though she does not report it as harassment.

She asked the officer to trace the number and run the name associated with it, as she was concerned the caller may be a prohibited possessor or have an alert out for him.

The officer called the number, and spoke with a non UA-affiliated man who informed the officer that he called the UA employee to debate political issues, and did not call three times.

He told the officer that he thought it was “a debate” and not an argument. He said he did not mention anything about guns, and questioned why UAPD was calling him. He also told the officer he was not intimidated by police.

After speaking with the man, the officer re-contacted the employee and told her he spoke with the individual. She was advised to report any more calls with specific remarks about guns from the man, as well as the time and date of the calls.

– Follow Alison Dorf @AlisonRaeDorf