Honorary recognizes students’ excellence

Brandi Walker

Current and future members of the Bobcat Senior Honorary clap in celebration at the conclusion of the 25th Evening of Excellence in the Student Union Memorial Center North Ballroom on Wednesday. The evening honored those who made significant contributions in academics, service and involvement. 

Last night, the UA Bobcats Senior Honorary hosted its 25th Annual Evening of Excellence, where outstanding UA clubs and individuals were recognized for their significant contributions in the areas of academics, service and involvement.

The Bobcats Senior Honorary is composed of 13 seniors who pride themselves on being dedicated to the UA.

Ben Malisewski, the current president of the honorary, started the night by welcoming and thanking the around 300 students, teachers and alumni in attendance for showing up to honor those receiving rewards.

Guest speaker and economics professor Steven Reff said he was honored to speak in front of a crowd at such a marvelous event that recognizes students.

Reff titled his speech “Life Lessons I have Learned During My First 60 years.” Some of the wisdom and lessons Reff said he wanted to pass on included: how life is similar to building a house, why everyone should join the FLC “Fricking Lucky club,” how it’s not just only who you know, but what you know and how living off other people’s money is not a bad thing.

Many awards and scholarships were given throughout the evening recognizing clubs and members of UA’s student organizations who have shown dedication, spirit and passion.

Bobcats Taylor Ashton and Dana Kline honored the late Professor Richard Ruiz by presenting the Outstanding Faculty Member of the year Award to his wife Marie Ruiz for his kindness, good nature and dedication.

Also recognized and given an award for drive, devotion and commitment to students’ success was marketing and management instructor Samuel Williams.

The Arizona Mortar Board Senior Honorary, Chain Gang Junior Honorary, S.M.O.R.E.S. Sophomore Honorary, Sophos Sophomore Honorary, Arizona Allegiance Honorary and the Arizona Ambassadors all also took moments to recognize and congratulate their new incoming members for the 2015-2016 year throughout the night. 

Jill Hall, the advisor for the Bobcats, said she thought everything was successful and is excited that the event continues to grow each year, meaning more students are having their accomplishments honored.

_______________

Follow Chastity Laskey on Twitter.