“String ensemble combines music, surreal images”

Some might find it hard to figure out how an ensemble of classical musicians and surreal digital art could fit together. Others might find it to be a unique collaboration of equally impressive art forms.

Regardless of whatever preconceived notions one might have, I Musici de Montreal will bring just that: classical music accompanied by visual art.

I Musici de Montreal is, at its basis, a 16-string ensemble that has been going strong for about 24 years now. Having released over 40 albums and won a handful of music awards, a 2002 Juno (Canadian Grammy) being its most recent achievement, the band has garnered praise and notoriety throughout Canada. Now they’re bringing their show to Centennial Hall.

For its 25th anniversary, the group is bringing something else unique to the stage. Classical music is not the only thing to expect for this show; or at least, for their first act.

Their second act, however, will be accompanied by digital artwork specially designed and choreographed to move along with the music.

“”It’s beautiful classical music, but the second half takes you to a world you’ve never seen before,”” said Mario Di Vetta, assistant marking specialist for UApresents. “”Why wouldn’t we do that?””

The surrealist artwork from Natasha Turovsky, daughter of Yuli Turovsky, the group’s leader, will provide a visual accompaniment to the classical works of Dmitri Shostakovich, Pyotr Tchaikovsky and Modest Mussorgsky, performed by the string ensemble.

The art provides a visual representation for the music, something that’s not often seen in concerts, let alone classical ones. The combination of art and music, however, and the coordination between the two mediums, brings something exciting, interesting and unique to the stage.

“”These two great forms of art are longing for each other,”” wrote Yuli Turovsky, artistic director of I Musici de Montreal. “”With our ‘choreographed paintings’ we succeeded in creating a symbiosis of the two.””

Though akin to the Nine Inch Nails project Ghosts, released just over a week ago, I Musici de Montreal is something that should be experienced live. The furious string prowess of an acclaimed classical band combined with flowing surrealist images will surely be a feast for your eyes and ears.

I Musici de Montreal performs at Centennial Hall at 6 p.m. Sunday. Students and faculty can get discounted tickets for as low as $10.