Police Beat: Sept. 17

Unlicensed lady, lead foot

University of Arizona Police Department officers were monitoring traffic on southbound Campbell Avenue Sept. 10 at around 11:50 a.m. when they observed a white SUV speeding. Officers determined the vehicle’s speed to be 45 mph in a 35 mph zone. Officers did a traffic stop and spoke with the driver, who told police that she did not have her wallet on her and could not provide them with any identification. A records check of the name she provided revealed that the woman had never been issued a license. The woman’s vehicle was towed for a mandatory 30-day impound and she was cited on charges of driving without a license and speeding. She was released on scene.

Golf cart charger caper confuses cops

UAPD officers spoke via telephone with a university employee on Sept. 10 at 2:47 p.m. about a golf cart charger stolen from University Information Technology Services.

According to the employee, the charger was silver and valued at $682. It was last seen in a secured area inside Highland garage on Sept. 8 at 7 a.m. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Unsecured, unlicensed and unsafe

UAPD officers were on patrol on Sept. 10 at 3:30 p.m. when they observed a white Chevrolet turn northbound on Euclid Avenue through a red light. They initiated a traffic stop and spoke with the woman driving. While speaking to the driver, officers noticed that her two children were not wearing seatbelts. A records check of the woman revealed that she had never been issued a license. She was cited on charges of failing to observe a traffic control device, driving without a license and two counts of failing to secure a child with a seatbelt. The woman’s vehicle was towed for a mandatory 30-day impound. The woman and her children were released on scene and were transported home by a friend.

Rank dank stinks up dorm

UAPD officers met with a resident assistant at Graham-Greenlee Residence Hall on Sept. 10 at 5:30 p.m. who told them that the strong odor of marijuana was coming from one of the rooms. The RA led police to the room and police knocked several times before finally making contact with the resident. Once inside, officers asked the student about the odor and were told by the student that the smell was coming from some containers that were normally used to store marijuana. The student told police that he had no marijuana in the room and agreed to a search of his side of the room. Police were unable to locate any marijuana, but they did confiscate the containers along with a small scale and some rolling papers that were found during the search and placed into police property as evidence. The incident was referred to the Dean of Students office.

Minor dumps red cup, detained

UAPD officers were on patrol around Mountain Avenue and Speedway Boulevard on Sept. 10 at 11:31 p.m. when they saw a woman stumbling westbound along Speedway Boulevard. As officers approached the woman, they saw her throw a red cup on the ground. When officers spoke with the woman, they asked her what was in the cup and she claimed that she did not remember. Officers detected the odor of intoxicants coming from the woman as she spoke. The woman identified herself using a California driver’s license and then admitted to drinking at a fraternity on campus. A breath test confirmed the presence of alcohol in the woman’s body and she was cited on charges of being a minor in possession. The woman was then transported back to Cochise Residence Hall where she was released.

Car swerves, is spotted and stopped

UAPD officers were on patrol northbound on Vine Avenue on Sept. 11 at 12:20 a.m. when they saw a silver Nissan swerve into oncoming traffic on Drachman Street in order to pass a vehicle in an intersection. Officers initiated a traffic stop and spoke with the driver. The driver claimed he thought the vehicle in the intersection had stopped to drop off passengers. A records check of the driver revealed outstanding warrants from the Tucson Police Department and UAPD, both for liquor law violations. The man was placed under arrest at 12:32 a.m. and was transported to Pima County Jail where he was booked.

Stumbling sorority woman raises police suspicions

UAPD on patrol northbound on Vine Avenue on Sept. 11 at 12:16 a.m. noticed multiple people congregating at the intersection of Vine Avenue and Drachman Street. As officers approached and turned westbound into an alley, they observed several people throwing beer cans to the ground and fleeing the scene. Officers continued through the alley before turning southbound onto Highland Avenue, where they observed a woman who appeared to be staggering. Officers stopped the woman and asked her for identification. The woman verbally identified herself after telling police that she did not have any identification on her. A records check revealed that the woman was underage. Police asked the woman to submit to a breath test but she refused. The woman also declined to answer any more questions, claiming that she did not want to implicate her sorority in the incident. Police cited the woman on charges of being a minor in possession and transported her to 1448 E. First St., the Delta Gamma sorority house, where she was released.