The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

83° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


Police Beat: April 20, 2015


University of Arizona Police Department officers were sent to Pima Residence Hall on April 6 at 4:27 p.m. to investigate the smell of marijuana coming from the hall.

The community director for the residence hall suspected the smell was coming from Room 103. The officer went up to the room and knocked on the door, but no one answered.

A man and woman came down the hallway, and the man told the officer that he lived in the room in question. The two students agreed to speak with the officer in a study room nearby.

While talking, the officer noticed the male student had a pack of cigarillos that were partially used. When questioned, the male student admitted they went to the Beal Center and smoked marijuana using a cigarillo outside the building. He said the cigarillos were his and that he purchased the marijuana for $20 from a man living in Hopi Lodge four hours prior to the officer arriving at his room. The female student confirmed everything the man said.

The officer went into the room and got a vial of marijuana inside a desk drawer. The man and woman were both cited for possession of marijuana, and the man was also cited for possession of drug paraphernalia. They were both referred to the UA Dean of Students Office. The marijuana and vial were placed into property as evidence.

The man who was suspected of selling the students marijuana at Hopi Lodge claimed he did not sell marijuana or have any marijuana in his room. The officer did a search of the room and did not find anything illegal, even though his community director said he was a self-admitted marijuana user.


A UA student was jumped near University Boulevard and Fifth Avenue when walking back to his dorm after studying on March 31.

A Campus Health Service employee reported the assault to UAPD on April 6 at noon after referring the student to the Campus Health Urgent Care unit on April 2.

The staff member said the student was waiting at Urgent Care, because he was displaying symptoms of a concussion. 

The student said he was hit repeatedly in the right side of his face by an unknown man, but was making the assault seem unimportant. According to the staff member, he had deep cuts, bruises and broken blood vessels in his right eye.

The student was told to report the incident, and he agreed to speak to an officer over the phone. An FYI was sent to the Dean of Students Office; no other information was available at that time.

More to Discover
Activate Search