Tucson hosts journalism conference

More than 90 journalism historians from all over the nation will gather for panel discussions, presentations, award ceremonies and paper sessions at The Hotel Arizona.

The 30th annual American Journalism History Association conference will be held in downtown Tucson beginning on Thursday until Saturday.

Thursday featured a 10 a.m. panel on the history of immigration coverage. Later that day, Carmen Duarte was awarded the Local Media History award for her dedication to her many journalistic appeals to minority groups — specifically Hispanics. Duarte is a former graduate of the UA School of Journalism, and has worked for the Arizona Daily Star since 1981. Duarte also wrote a series of memoirs of her mother’s life called “”Mama’s Santos: An Arizona Life,”” which earned her credibility and appraisal from many.

Linda Lumsden, assistant professor and director of Graduate Studies, spoke at the award ceremony and said besides Duarte “”being a wonderful writer and a wonderful journalist, she’s also a wonderful person who is a fantastic representation that lives by the standards we value at the School of Journalism.””

Today, Margaret Regan, a journalist with the Tucson Weekly and author of the book “”Death of Josseline: Immigration Stories from the Arizona-Mexico Borderlands,”” will be speaking at a luncheon. Other panels and discussions for the day will include topics like war, recent passage of Arizona’s anti-immigration law, the American Southwest, regional segregation, media coverage of the Mexican Revolution, border life and many more.

The AJHA discussion panels held at Hotel Arizona are free to attend; however, members must have registered in order to attend all events.