Junior Zimmer has 2-1 record in final fall tournament for M-tennis

The Arizona men’s tennis team completed its fall tournament season at the Longhorn Invitational in Austin, Texas, this weekend.

Redshirt junior Peter Zimmer stepped up this weekend, finishing with a 2-1 record during singles play. He defeated Ball State’s Jarrod Epkey 6-2, 6-4 and Texas-San Antonio’s Rodrigo Morgado 7-6, 3-6, 6-4 in Friday’s first-round play,

Zimmer’s run concluded with a loss to No. 2-seeded Olivier Sajous of Florida Atlantic, 3-6, 7-5, 6-1, on Saturday.

Freshman Jay Goldman suffered a first round loss to Dmitry Novikov of T.A. Marryshow, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2.

Sophomore Ravid Hazi also fell in the first round to Oregon’s Marco Verdasco, 6-1, 7-6.

In doubles play, Hazi and Zimmer fell to Laredo’s Francisco

Segura and Diego Troiano, 8-5.

Arizona opens its spring tournament season Jan. 25 at the Robson Tennis Center against Gonzaga.

W-tennis woes in final fall tournament

The Arizona women’s tennis team wrapped up its fall tournament season this weekend in San Diego with a set of losses at the San Diego State Fall Classic.

“”This weekend was by far the best I’ve seen the girls play this fall,”” said UA assistant coach Brian Ramirez. “”Unfortunately, we didn’t get a lot of winning done.””

Freshman Jane Huh led the Wildcats with two wins, one of which came in the first round Friday over Washington’s Joyec Ardies, 6-3, 6-0. In Saturday’s second round, Huh fell to Santa Monica’s Alex Poorta, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.

“”For Jane, as a freshman to come out and beat a girl like that, is really a good showing for Jane to come out and play,”” Ramirez said. “”That says a lot about where Jane’s tennis has gone from and where it is now.””

Senior Camelia Todorova lost to Washington’s Aleksandra Malovic in first-round singles play Friday, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3. Todorova also dropped her initial first-round consolation match against San Diego State’s Milana Yusupov, 6-4, 6-3.

Sophomore Katie Orletsky lost to UC-Irvine’s Brooke Bartlett in yesterday’s consolation bracket, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, after dropping her first round match to Washington’s Melinda Wong, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6(2).

Seven other teams competed, including Washington, Oklahoma, St. Mary’s, San Diego and Texas Christian.

“”We didn’t do a good job playing big points,”” Ramirez said. “”We just had a tough time putting matches away.””

– Bryan Roy