Arizona soccer falls to No.19 Stanford, moving to 0-2 in Pac-12 play

Antonia Muskat

Forward, Jordan Hall, slides in to pass the ball at the Arizona women’s soccer match against Pepperdine on Sunday, Sept. 11 in Tucson, Arizona. Wildcats would loose 0-2.

The Arizona soccer team fell to No. 19 Stanford University 2-0 Thursday evening.

In the first half, Arizona (3-4-2, 0-2) controlled possession in attacking their third of their field. Neither team scored through the first 45 minutes and the match went into halftime 0-0.

“I think it’s the best half that we’ve had this season. The way we were moving the ball and rotating for each other and the defensive effort, it was all clicking for us in the first half,” Arizona goalkeeper Hope Hisey said.

In the second half, Stanford came out and showed why they were ranked the No. 19 team in the country.

In 51st minute of the match, Stanford took an early lead due to a shot just inside the top of the box which found the back of the net.

Stanford added to their 1-0 lead in minute 63 when Allie Montoya sent a cross to Maya Doms, whose header made it past goalie Hisey.

“They came out a little more organized and more composed. They figured out how to handle our press, and I think we were a little fatigued from the first half,” Arizona head coach Rebecca Moros said.

Arizona’s goalie Hisey saw more action than she was used to. In total, Hisey grabbed eight saves, which was a season-high.

“I think Hope did really well; she had a lot of big saves. She was tested. She’s had more action in this game than she has had all season,” Moros said.

In the match, Stanford dominated in the shots category, edging Arizona 25-7. Arizona only had two shots on goal compared to Stanford’s 10 shots on goal.

Arizona looks to get back on track at home this Sunday, Oct. 2, at 12 p.m. against the University of California, Berkeley.

Follow Devin Homer on Twitter