Police Beat: November 2

House hopping

A UAPD officer went to the Delta Delta Delta sorority house because of a reported alcohol overdose at 2:46 a.m. on Oct. 27.

When the officer arrived, Tucson Fire Department personnel were already on the scene and evaluating the woman, who was heavily intoxicated. The officer was able to identify the woman as a UA student, and confirmed that she was under 21. The subject’s housemates initially called TFD because of the woman’s level of intoxication, but examiners decided she didn’t need to be taken to the hospital as long as someone kept an eye on her.

The woman admitted to having drank vodka earlier at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house, and slurred her speech while continually vomiting. During questioning, the woman repeatedly said that all she wanted to do was go back to sleep. The student was given a Dean of Students Referral for minor in possession of alcohol in body.

Can’t keep the shots down

A UAPD officer responded to the ninth floor of the Arizona-Sonora residence hall after a complaint regarding an intoxicated man vomiting at 3:34 a.m. on Oct. 27. When the officer arrived, UA Emergency Medical Services personnel were on the scene in the women’s restroom with a man, who had gone into the bathroom to throw up. TFD also came to evaluate the individual, who was able to answer all questions without trouble.

The student told TFD that he was taking care of a friend who was sick and on the ninth floor, but needed to use the women’s restroom to throw up. He added that he’d taken eight to ten shots of vodka earlier at an off-campus house. While talking with officers, the man didn’t have any odor of alcohol on his breath but did have watery eyes and slightly slurred speech. The woman he was taking care of was in her room on the ninth floor and currently in worse condition than him, the man said.

The officer went up to the woman’s dorm room and knocked on the door, but received no response. The resident assistant of the floor told the officer that at least one of the roommates was not home. Due to what the sick man had said and the woman’s lack of a response, the RA and officer agreed that unlocking the door and entering was appropriate.

When they entered, the student was asleep, but she woke up after the officer repeatedly said her name. When asked, the woman said she’d returned to her room around 1 a.m. and had been sleeping ever since. She told the officer that she had had two drinks earlier, but showed no signs of intoxication. TFD cleared both students, and the man was referred to the Dean of Students in reference to a violation of the alcohol Code of Conduct.

Learning on the fly

A UAPD officer stopped a speeding truck near the Speedway Boulevard and Campbell Avenue intersection at 11:27 a.m. on Oct. 30.

The red vehicle was seen speeding at an estimated 50 mph in a 35 mph zone. The driver identified herself with an Arizona identification card, and was a non-UA affiliate. When the officer asked to see her driver’s license she said she’d never received one because she couldn’t pass the writing portion of the exam. Records confirmed that the woman didn’t have a valid license.
Her vehicle was towed, and she was cited for speeding.