Prop 411: Tucson votes to extend half-cent sales tax in special election

Molly Cline
A digital illustration of a mail-in ballot that says “USA” in the corner.

On May 17, the City of Tucson is holding an all-by-mail special election. Tucson voters will vote on Proposition 411 which would extend the city’s half-cent sales tax for an additional 10 years.*

Ballots were sent to registered voters within the city limits. Voters could have mailed back their ballots back by Wednesday, May 11 or deposited them at ballot drop-off sites, which will be open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. on the special election day.

In May 16, 2017, Tucson voters approved Proposition 101 which initiated a five-year half-cent sales tax. This temporary sales tax increase was intended to restore and repair city streets and fund public safety capital needs like vehicles and equipment for the Tucson Fire Department and Tucson Police Department. 

Since Prop. 101 expires this year, voters must decide whether or not to extend the existing half-cent sales tax. If voters approve of Prop. 411, the sales tax rate in Tucson will remain the same for an additional 10 years; if voters disapprove, then the sales tax rate will drop by a half-cent. 

To ensure that the increased sales tax is being used appropriately, there are accountability and oversight commissions, the Complete Streets Coordinating Council and a truth-in-taxation policy. These accountability mechanisms will each play a part to monitor the neighborhood street improvement projects and the safe street projects (e.g., sidewalk and pedestrian accessibility improvements, bicycle network enhancements, systemwide safety improvements and traffic signal technology upgrades).

About 80% of the funding will go toward the neighborhood street improvement projects, and about 20% will go toward the safe street projects. 

To learn more about the progress on Proposition 101 and to help you decide if extending a half-cent sales tax increase is worth it, visit tucsondelivers.tucsonaz.gov.

*UPDATE: May 18 – Tucson voters passed Prop. 411.

Follow Olivia Butler on Twitter