Full organic Tucson farmers’ market shortens the trip from farm to your plate

Robert Alcaraz / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Many students may be bored and tired with their daily food routine, whether that be options from the Student Union Memorial Center or restaurants within proximity of campus. By this time of the semester, those resources have become repetitive.

If a food routine change needs to be made, why not take a healthy and organic approach? The markets have homemade goods such as specially crafted soaps, flowers, honey, salsas, etc.for those who are interested in just that. These markets provide access to the best produce vendors in the area, with affordable prices, which may just beat those of the local Trader Joe’s and Sprouts.

Tucson Farmers’ Markets offers a broad range of tasty food varieties including baked goods, cheeses, meats, seafood and produce, and the vendors always offer free samples to all buyers. The markets are also dog-friendly, and allow buyers to shop with a leashed pet.

The Thanksgiving themed “FEASTable” event this weekend is also being hosted by the Tucson Farmers’ Markets, which offers shoppers the means to prepare for Thanksgiving and the holidays. These festivities will offer appropriate seasonal ingredients and holiday cooking tips from professional culinary artists.

The nearest and most convenient location to central Tucson is the newest market downtown at Maynards Market & Kitchen. This location recently celebrated its one year anniversary as the newest addition to the farmer’s market locations.

Maynards downtown market offers specialties from local small businesses including Rex’s Perogies, Small Planet Bakery, Petrou Foods, Salsas Rangel, Larry’s Veggies and River Road Gardens, amongst many additional small business vendors of a wonderful variety of handmade goods and organic produce. That market location is popular even with the construction, and will continue to provide the Tucson community with an abundance of organic produce and natural products.

Tucson Farmers’ Markets give Tucsonans the opportunity to support venders of locally grown produce and to learn the benefits of purchasing and consuming locally grown food. Take advantage of this local buying experience and take an active step in bettering your diet and overall health by branching out of the campus food experience.

The Tucson Farmers’ Markets are available 3 days a week at 4 separate locations;

Fridays:

Tucson Farmers’ Market East at Jesse Owens Park
    400 S. Sarnoff Drive
    9 a.m. – 1 p.m.

Saturdays:
    Oro Valley Farmers’ Market
    11000 N. La Canada
    Oro Valley Town Hall
    9 a.m. – 1 p.m.

Maynards Market & Kitchen Farmers’ Market
    400 N. Toole Ave
    9 a.m. – 1 p.m.

Sundays:
    St. Philip’s Plaza Farmers’ Market
    4280 N. Campbell Ave
    9 a.m. – 1 p.m.

For additonal information, visit the Tucson Farmers’ Markets official website: farmersmarkettucson.com.

Follow us on Twitter @wildcatarts and follow Sophia @50ph1a_23n0.