POBEAT: March 9, 2016

Balancing Act

A female UA student was found by a University of Arizona Police Department officer walking along the sidewalk east of the Gould-Simpson Building. Despite her arms out to her sides in attempt to maintain balance, the slight angle of the sidewalk proved too much and the student stumbled and began staggering.

As the officer approached the student, she asked if she was going to get a minor in possession even though the officer did not yet know her age.

The student said she was walking with her three friends from Drachman Street and Adams Street, lost them and was going to walk home.

The student’s clothing was disheveled and her white shoes were very dirty, according to UAPD. When the officer asked if she knew where she was going and in what direction, the officer deemed that the student’s sense of direction was compromised. With no money for a cab or Uber to safely take the student home, the officer determined the best course of action was to provide a police transport to the student’s residence.

The student had a noticeable sway, lost her balance multiple times, had slurred speech and had red and watery eyes.

With obvious signs of alcohol consumption, the student was issued a UA Student Diversion.

The student said she drank four shots of vodka at a house and began crying and could not answer any more questions. The student was diverted through the Dean of Students Office for underage drinking.

Is it too late now to say sorry?

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was called to the UA Bookstore in response to a shoplifting incident. When the officer arrived, a member of UA Bookstore Loss Prevention was pointing at a man running away wearing a white shirt, shorts and with a pair of red Beats headphones on his head. When the man noticed the UAPD officer, he took the headphones off and folded them into his hand.

When the officer caught up to the man with his UAPD motorcycle, the man was breathing heavily and sweating as if he had been running.

When the officer dismounted the motorcycle, the man said, “Sorry, I made a mistake.” After presenting his ID and UA CatCard, the officer asked what the student was sorry for. The student replied, “I don’t know.”

The student admitted he had purchased an “A” window sticker and walked to the back of the store and took a pair of shorts off a rack and walked back to the front of the store, according to UAPD. The student said he didn’t mean to walk out of the store without paying for the shorts, but forgot. He said when a member of Loss Prevention approached him and asked for his CatCard, he panicked and dropped the bag with the sticker and receipt.

The student ran northbound from the bookstore and threw the shorts into some bushes as he was running.

The student admitted leaving the store without purchasing the shorts, but said it was an accident and he didn’t mean to steal them.

The student was arrested, cited and released for shoplifting.

Follow Amanda Oien on Twitter.