Guide to voting in the ASUA elections

It is that time of the year again when the Associated Students of the University of Arizona candidate debates are coming to an end and voting is beginning.

Voting for the new student body president, executive vice president, administrative vice president and the senators will start on Tuesday, March 3 at 8 a.m. and will stay open for 36 hours. The voting will close Wednesday, March 4 at 8 p.m.

Students can vote by going to the ASUA website and clicking the “ELECTIONS” tab. This will take you to a webpage where it will have the link to the ballot. Students will then sign on with their NetID.

When voting for a college’s senator, students can vote up to as many colleges they major in. For example, if a student double majors, they can vote for a senator for each college they belong to.

Voting at the UA has dropped drastically in the last three elections, according to Reed Hirshman, the election commissioner.

In 2017, 6,459 students voted, according to Hirshman, but the percentage of voters decreased by 30% with only 4,514 people who voted in the 2018 elections. In 2019, only 1,437 people voted in the elections, causing the the number of voters to decrease by 78% since 2017.

The results of the election will be announced at the general election result show on Wednesday, March 4 at 10 p.m. The show will be aired on UATV, live streaming on UATV’s Facebook, posted on ASUA’s Instagram and on the ASUA website.

This will be the first year in four years that ASUA will air the results on UATV.

Follow Ciara Jean on Twitter