Campus gun laws concern ASUA

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona will host their weekly meeting tonight to discuss firearms on campus.

Tonight’s meeting will take place at 5 in the Ventana Room of the Student Union Memorial Center.

Arizona State Senate Bill 1011, which, if passed, would allow teachers with valid permits to carry firearms on school grounds, has caught the attention of ASUA Sen. Tyler Quillin.

“”It’s extremely disappointing and disheartening that the state legislature would propose such a (bill),”” Quillin said.

Quillin has drafted a resolution in opposition to SB 1011 stating, “”firearms, in no way, belong in, near or around a classroom or any other university setting, unless in the possession of the University of Arizona Police Department, or other lawful entities.””

“”I’m personally very averse to anybody carrying concealed weapons on campus,”” Quillin said. “”Weapons don’t belong in the classroom.””

Quillin would like to see SB 1011 amended to allow teachers to carry guns in places other than the academic setting.

“”We’re asking for an exception,”” he said.

Quillin thinks that faculty members should be able to carry firearms around town — just not on campus.

The Arizona Board of Regents’ policy currently states that personnel on each of the three state universities are prohibited from using, possessing, displaying or storing weapons on school grounds.

Current exceptions to this policy state that a person can keep or otherwise carry a firearm in his or her privately owned vehicle, compartment or motorcycle, as long as it is locked and the firearm is not visible. According to the fact sheet for SB 1011, the Arizona Board of Regents also makes an exception for the use, display, possession and storage of a firearm as long as the university has specifically authorized it.

ASUA met Tuesday morning to discuss the bill, but no action was taken. ASUA will vote to approve Quillin’s firearm resolution during tonight’s meeting.

“”It’s important to make the students’ voices heard. We’re the ones (who are) going to be affected by it,”” Quillin said. “”It’s not going to affect the state legislature, that’s for sure.””

ASUA will also discuss bylaw changes and the election referendum policy during tonight’s meeting.