UA power outage

Gordon Bates  / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Nicholas Ong, a Villa Del Puente residence hall desk assistant and microbiology junior, endures the power outage that took place on Wednesday. The outage prevented the vertical drop gate in front of the desk from retracting and left only one emergency light to work under.
Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat Nicholas Ong, a Villa Del Puente residence hall desk assistant and microbiology junior, endures the power outage that took place on Wednesday. The outage prevented the vertical drop gate in front of the desk from retracting and left only one emergency light to work under.

Approximately 13 buildings, including five dorms, had their power knocked out around 10:15 on Wednesday morning.

“”The cause of it might be weather related,”” said Al Tarcola assistant vice president of UA Facilities Management. “”Excessive water might have gotten into one of our larger pieces of equipment and got on the fuses therefore knocking the power out.””

The problem seems to be affecting buildings central to campus — the Highland Avenue dorms and buildings surrounding and including the Administration building. Although the University Services building, as far away as Second Street and Euclid Avenue, has been experiencing power failure, according to Tarcola.

“”Most buildings are on emergency generating power,”” Tarcola added.

It’s unknown when the power will be restored but Facilities Management hopes to have everything back on within two to four hours.

“”And part of it could be on in another five minutes because we might get lucky we’re transferring switches and sometimes switches will sufficiently transfer and sometimes they’ll kick back off,”” Tarcola said. “”If it doesn’t hold it’ll go back off if so we’ll have to investigate why it isn’t tripping.””

The power outage did not affect the Student Recreation Center across Sixth Street on Highland Avenue.

UA Planning, Design and Construction was unable to be reached by press time to determine if the power outage affected construction on the Sixth Street dorms