POBEAT: 11/28/16

POBEAT%3A+11%2F28%2F16
Simon Asher

Honesty is the best policy

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a resident assistant’s call about a smell of marijuana at Arizona Sonora Residence Hall on Nov. 16. The resident assistant had spoken to students in a room to tell them to be quieter because they were loud but had noticed a smell of marijuana when they opened the door.

Officers could smell a strong scent of marijuana from one of the rooms and knocked on the door. A man with glassy eyes opened the door and said the officers could come in. The man said he was the room’s resident, and there were five other men in the room. The officer told them why he was there, but when he asked the men if they had been smoking marijuana, they all said no.

They all appeared to be under the influence of marijuana. The officer saw a marijuana grinder on a desk in plain view and showed it to them, and the resident said they had been smoking earlier. The officer then asked them if they had any marijuana left, and they all said no.

The officer asked again, and the men handed the officer a plastic bag with marijuana in it. The officer asked them what they had used to smoke it, and they said they had used a pipe, but the friend who owned the pipe had left. The officer asked them to be honest, and one of the men took out a green glass bong.

The men admitted using the bong to smoke marijuana and the resident admitted to owning the bong. Three of the men were diverted through the Dean of Students office, and one student, who had previously been diverted, was cited and released. The resident, who was a juvenile, was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia and was taken to Pima County Juvenile Detention Center.

Mulch and museums

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a reference about a suspicious man at the North Museum on Nov. 16. An employee at the museum spoke with officers to report an incident that had happened the day before, when a man used mulch from trees around the museum to spell out “FVKV” with cross-like symbols on either end of the word on the grass.

The man then walked to the Women’s Plaza of Honor and then came back. The man then came inside the museum, and the employee told the man the museum was closing in 10 minutes.

The man was wearing headphones and seemed to be dancing, and he leaned on a display case, which violates museum policy. The employee asked the man to not lean on the case, but the man became angry.

He yelled at the employee, “You told me that because of the way I look,” then cursed at the employee before leaving the museum. The officer told the employee to contact UAPD if the man returns.