Students rave after Activities Board merger

UA students attend a free tecnoglow rave in the Student Union Memorial Center Cellar Friday.  The event featured music by techno/house disc jockey Erik Abate who majors in media arts.
UA students attend a free tecnoglow rave in the Student Union Memorial Center Cellar Friday. The event featured music by techno/house disc jockey Erik Abate who majors in media arts.

Students danced the night away during the University Activities Board’s Techno Glow Rave on Friday.

The rave, one of the monthly events which the Activities Board holds, came at the same time the University Activities Board officially merged with the Associated Students of the University of Arizona.

Before entering the Games Room in the Student Union Memorial Center, people were able to jump onto a large inflatable red chair and have their pictures taken.

“”We were deciding between an oxygen bar, sandy-candy or the chair,”” said Janie van der Walt, a chemistry freshman and member of the University Activities Board. “”I really pushed for the chair.””

Photos were taken and printed on the spot, so guests were able to take the keepsakes with them.

“”We don’t have too many dances and parties on campus that everyone can come to … so we really wanted to bring everyone together,”” said Justin Evans, a political science freshman and member of the Activities Board.

Glow sticks were handed out as students walked in to the black-light area in the Games Room of the student union. Club House DJ blasted music as neon lights flittered about the room.

Matt Dawson, a theatre production sophomore who helped run the event, said he sent text messages to his friends in order to get the word out.

“”We advertise sometimes, through the digital televisions in the student union, and also through flyers and table toppers.”” He said the cost of putting on the Techno Glow Rave was about $1,500, which came out of the University Activities Board budget.

Geneva Baruelo, a freshman majoring in molecular and cellular biology, had never been to a rave before. Baruelo attended the Techno Glow Rave with her friend Karyn Vo, an anthropology freshman.

Vo heard about the event through an invite on Facebook.

Students, with the help of advisers, planned the event and it took a couple of months to come to fruition, according to Jessica Berger, president of the University Activities Board and psychology junior.

“”It’s something fun for students to do on a Friday night, especially for those who live in the dorms,”” Berger said.

Students had options besides dancing. The student-run comedy troupe Comedy Corner performed for free in the Cellar Bistro and students were able to view a screening of “”Jackass 3D”” for $1 at the Gallagher Theater.

Dawson added that they are looking to bring Dan Sperry, a magician who has appeared on the show “”America’s Got Talent,”” to the UA on Feb. 11.