Police Beat: March 21

‘The cops are here’

Three UA students were cited and released on charges related to underage drinking after police spoke with a woman who had been urinating in public at 2:06 a.m. on March 18.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer stopped to check the welfare of a woman urinating in public near Martin Avenue and Second Street. A man and woman were standing on the sidewalk nearby and yelling at her to “get the fuck over here,” according to a police report.

When the man noticed UAPD officers, he added, “Now you did it, the cops are here!”

The woman stood up from a squatting position behind a bush, pulled up her underwear and walked over to join the man and woman.

The officer spoke with the students. They said they hadn’t been arguing with each other, but were yelling because they just wanted their friend to hurry up. All three students showed signs of intoxication, but the man refused to participate in a breath test.

“No, because without a breath test, it’s your word against mine,” he said.

The officer then spoke with the student who had been squatting behind a bush, who admitted to having urinated. She said she had needed to use a restroom, but there were none nearby. She also admitted to consuming alcohol earlier that evening. The man became angry, stepping toward her in an “aggressive manner” and telling her, “Shut the fuck up,” according to the police report. Police had him sit to calm down.

The students told police they’d received the alcohol from a man at a gas station that they wouldn’t identify.

They were all cited and charged with minor in possession, while one of the women received a criminal littering charge for urinating in public. The officer then took all three students to their residence halls.

A game of telephone

A UAPD officer went to the Science-Engineering Library after a UA student caused a disturbance at 6:41 p.m. on March 17.

The woman said she had come to the library to sit with a man whom she had known for two weeks. The two had exchanged numbers after the man approached her on campus, she said.

When the woman tried to sit with the man, moving several of his belongings, he became upset and said, “Fucking ho!” The woman said she returned the remark and walked away.

The man said he had been at the library for several hours and had positioned his belongings to reserve a spot at his table for a friend. The woman then came over, threw his things on the floor, cursed and walked away, he said. The man notified UAPD shortly after.

A witness who had been working near the man for several hours said the man had been quiet before the woman arrived, but that the woman had been loud and distracting as she spoke on her phone. The man had asked her to quiet down, the witness said, and she began to curse at him.

Neither student wanted to press charges against the other, and police advised the two to stay away from each other.