Arizona sweeps in day one of Arizona Desert Classic

The Arizona volleyball team took on UC Irvine and Boise State to kick off the Arizona Desert Classic and tallied wins against both schools, going 3-0 (26-24, 25-17, 25-17) against the Anteaters and 3-0 (25-23, 26-24, 25-15) in the second match up against the Broncos.

The Wildcats had a .553 hitting percentage in the second set against Boise State. This is the highest hitting percentage the team has put up so far this season in a set.

“Well I think it might be the first time that we’ve walked out of a match and I’m pleased overall,” head coach Dave Rubio said. “I’m really pleased with what happened out there from start to finish.”

Things seem to be clicking better for the squad after Rubio implemented a new offense this weekend running a 6-2 rotation. The goal of the new system is to utilize the available talent and minimize unforced errors.

“I really like the evolution from the first match this morning to what happened tonight in a fairly new system for everybody,” Rubio said.

Rubio said the team has been struggling with consistency from set to set in tournaments so far but was happy with Friday’s results.

Arizona takes on American tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. in McKale Center to conclude the Arizona Desert Classic.